Duo bring their ‘Unplugged’ tour to Hitchin hotel
- Credit: Galina Walls
A multi-award-winning Scottish singer and a New Zealand-born songwriter and multi-instrumentalist will be appearing in concert in Hitchin.
Emily Smith and Jamie McClennan will be playing live at Hitchin Folk Club at The Sun Hotel on Sunday, October 14 in support of their ‘Unplugged’ album.
Their 2018 release features 10 tracks, with seven previously unrecorded songs, including three preview tracks to their studio album coming out in 2019.
The duo’s new sound features originals by McClennan and reworked traditional material from Scotland and New Zealand, drawing on influences from the folk tradition, Americana and beyond.
Smith’s accolades include BBC Radio Scotland’s Young Traditional Musician of the Year, two BBC Radio 2 nominations and twice winner of Scots Singer of the Year at the Scots Trad Music Awards.
You may also want to watch:
Meeting in 2002 when McClennan moved from New Zealand to Scotland, fiddle player Jamie soon became an integral part of Emily’s sound, taking on the role of lead guitar and backing vocals and producing several of her albums.
They have since performed throughout Europe, Australia, New Zealand, Japan, Russia and North America.
- 1 Hitchin teenager convicted of raping three young people
- 2 Motorcyclist dies after crash near Hitchin
- 3 Prime Minister Boris Johnson opens Airbus' new £35 million facility
- 4 Rapist faces 'considerable custodial sentence' after guilty verdict
- 5 Topping out ceremony marks significant progress to new bus interchange
- 6 Woman suffers facial injuries in pub assault
- 7 Two arrests made after serious assault in town centre
- 8 Treble for Codi Lee-Spavins and three points for Stotfold in victory over Letchworth
- 9 Herts Council has 'pattern of mishandling children's services complaints'
- 10 8 filming locations of Netflix royal drama The Crown in Hertfordshire
Alongside their solo careers, they have performed with many musical greats including Richard Thompson, Barbara Dickson, Jerry Douglas and Mary Chapin Carpenter.
TV and radio appearances include BBC’s Songs of Praise, BBC Radio 2’s Good Morning Sunday, Bob Harris Show and The Folk Show with Mark Radcliffe.
Emily’s original song Find Hope was also chosen as part of Radio 2’s official playlist in December 2016.
The duo’s Hitchin gig starts at 8.15pm.
Tickets cost £12 members and £14 non members.
• Playing Hitchin Folk Club this Sunday (October 7) will be Kathryn Roberts & Sean Lakeman, plus support from Dan Wilde.
Winners of the ‘Best Duo’ at the BBC Folk Awards for a second time in 2016, Kathryn’s emotion-filled mellow vocals place her firmly alongside any of the great folk divas, while Sean’s guitar work is as ever both refreshing and skilful.
They perform an eclectic repertoire of traditional songs alongside contemporary favourites.
Support Dan is a Cambridge-based singer-songwriter who has been gaining a reputation as one of the finest young songwriting talents on the contemporary British folk scene.
• Visit www.hitchinfolkclub.idnet.net to book tickets.