Duo bring their ‘Unplugged’ tour to Hitchin hotel
- Credit: Galina Walls
A multi-award-winning Scottish singer and a New Zealand-born songwriter and multi-instrumentalist will be appearing in concert in Hitchin.
Emily Smith and Jamie McClennan will be playing live at Hitchin Folk Club at The Sun Hotel on Sunday, October 14 in support of their ‘Unplugged’ album.
Their 2018 release features 10 tracks, with seven previously unrecorded songs, including three preview tracks to their studio album coming out in 2019.
The duo’s new sound features originals by McClennan and reworked traditional material from Scotland and New Zealand, drawing on influences from the folk tradition, Americana and beyond.
Smith’s accolades include BBC Radio Scotland’s Young Traditional Musician of the Year, two BBC Radio 2 nominations and twice winner of Scots Singer of the Year at the Scots Trad Music Awards.
You may also want to watch:
Meeting in 2002 when McClennan moved from New Zealand to Scotland, fiddle player Jamie soon became an integral part of Emily’s sound, taking on the role of lead guitar and backing vocals and producing several of her albums.
They have since performed throughout Europe, Australia, New Zealand, Japan, Russia and North America.
- 1 Woman named after pleading guilty to fly-tipping offence
- 2 Body found in search for missing woman
- 3 Movies announced for drive-in cinema's return to Knebworth
- 4 Good Samaritan becomes victim of attempted robbery in Stevenage
- 5 Primary schools hit back after ex-Ofsted head says teachers should be prepared to 'sacrifice their lives'
- 6 Government curbs council's powers to block new homes
- 7 See inside this beautiful Edwardian property fit for a multi-millionaire
- 8 Professional artist born out of school lockdown project
- 9 Historic school to close at end of academic year
- 10 Missing Stevenage teen found
Alongside their solo careers, they have performed with many musical greats including Richard Thompson, Barbara Dickson, Jerry Douglas and Mary Chapin Carpenter.
TV and radio appearances include BBC’s Songs of Praise, BBC Radio 2’s Good Morning Sunday, Bob Harris Show and The Folk Show with Mark Radcliffe.
Emily’s original song Find Hope was also chosen as part of Radio 2’s official playlist in December 2016.
The duo’s Hitchin gig starts at 8.15pm.
Tickets cost £12 members and £14 non members.
• Playing Hitchin Folk Club this Sunday (October 7) will be Kathryn Roberts & Sean Lakeman, plus support from Dan Wilde.
Winners of the ‘Best Duo’ at the BBC Folk Awards for a second time in 2016, Kathryn’s emotion-filled mellow vocals place her firmly alongside any of the great folk divas, while Sean’s guitar work is as ever both refreshing and skilful.
They perform an eclectic repertoire of traditional songs alongside contemporary favourites.
Support Dan is a Cambridge-based singer-songwriter who has been gaining a reputation as one of the finest young songwriting talents on the contemporary British folk scene.
• Visit www.hitchinfolkclub.idnet.net to book tickets.