Hitchin duo play series of Christmas dates to support new album
- Credit: Archant
Hitchin-based folk duo Celtic Krystal are looking forward to pulling a few festive ‘Folk Craic-kers’ this Christmas in celebration of the recent release of their new CD ‘The Silver Darlings’.
The series of gigs looks to be a great festive treat progressing through the Christmas period.
Vocalist Robin Campbell says if you love folk and fiddle tunes and evenings around log fires with warming wines and good company, then this musical vibe or ‘craic’ is for you.
Celtic Krystal are a Celtic folk band consisting of Robin Campbell on guitar/vocals and Krystal Woodbridge on fiddle. They will start the festivities at The Victoria in Hitchin on Thursday, December 21 with the next ‘craic-ker’ being tugged at The Old Gerorge in Ickleford on Saturday, December 23.
The title of their recent CD ‘The Silver Darlings’ comes from the Ewan MacColl song ‘The Shoals of Herring’, which he wrote for the BBC Radio Ballads programme ‘Singing the Fishing’ in 1960.
The song is about Celtic fisherman following the herring, and the women, who followed the fishing fleets around with them.
The duo are joined on the album by Duncan Ivory on bass guitar with Dicky Deegan on Uilleann pipes and whistles.
- 1 Man wanted in connection with police officer assault could be in Hitchin
- 2 'Jobs will be lost' if Stevenage TK Maxx fails to relocate
- 3 Plans to demolish riding stables to make way for housing
- 4 Range Rover stopped towing ‘insecure trailer’ on A1(M) in Stevenage
- 5 VOTE: Which is your favourite chip shop in all of Hertfordshire?
- 6 Lloyds Bank in Letchworth to shut as closures announced across the UK
- 7 Crackdown on anti-social behaviour in Letchworth and Baldock
- 8 Stevenage woman arrested following 'dangerous driving and assault'
- 9 Plans to demolish two houses and build 20 flats in their place
- 10 Former pub owner admits to food hygiene offences
Other folk favourites featured on the CD include Fiddler’s Green, Caledonia, Fields of Athenry and Wild Mountain Thyme.
‘The Silver Darlings’ cover is designed and illustrated by Eilidh Price, a graduate of the Glasgow School of Art.
For more information on the band go to their website at www.celtickrystal.org.
You can also find out more about Robin online at www.robincampbell.org.
The Ickleford Sports and Social Club, Ickleford - Saturday, December 2, 2017 – FREE ADMISSION – Doors Open 7pm
The Victoria - Hitchin - Thursday, December 21, 2017 – FREE ADMISSION – 8pm
The Old George – Ickleford- Saturday, December 23, 2017 – FREE ADMISSION – 8pm