Hitchin charity’s beagle mascot takes a bow on Stevenage panto stage
- Credit: Archant
A globetrotting beagle set on his way by actress and animal rights supporter Joanne Lumley has made the latest stop in his journey – on stage in Stevenage.
Hadwen the beagle is the cuddly mascot of the Hitchin-based non-animal research charity the Dr Hadwen Trust, and his long-distance mission was to raise awareness about the charity’s work.
Supporters were asked to take a selfie with Hadwen at an interesting landmark or event or with a celebrity, which led to the beagle’s walk-on part in Aladdin at the Gordon Craig Theatre, where he was welcomed by former EastEnders and Extras star Shaun Williamson, dame and Stevenage panto stalwart Paul Laidlaw and other members of the cast.
His travels have taken him as far afield as California, where he visited the Beagle Freedom Project which finds new homes for dogs which have been liberated from laboratories.
The Trust’s head of operations Dr Kay Miller said: “We are very grateful to our lovely patron, Joanna Lumley, for launching Hadwen’s Journey.
You may also want to watch:
“We hoped that Hadwen would become famous through social media whilst making people aware of the brilliant medical research that can take place without using animals.”
You can find out more about the charity’s work online at www.drhadwentrust.org.
- 1 Woman suffers facial injuries in pub assault
- 2 Prime Minister Boris Johnson opens Airbus' new £35 million facility
- 3 Motorcyclist dies after crash near Hitchin
- 4 Two arrests made after serious assault in town centre
- 5 Our town in pictures: A journey through Stevenage's past and present
- 6 Community rallies together to clean up church after 'mindless' vandalism
- 7 Brett Donnelly happy with squad building as Stotfold aim for promotion goal
- 8 Stevenage teen sentenced after sexually abusing young boys
- 9 Floats, fun and fancy dress: Do you remember Stevenage Carnival?
- 10 Famous faces: A look at Stevenage's most notable people