Herts Jazz Fest shows off greats
A festival of jazz begins tomorrow night (Friday) with some of the finest players in Britain and Europe on show.
The second Herts Jazz Festival takes place until Sunday at Campus West in Welwyn GC with 15 acts over the weekend.
Festival director and drummer Clark Tracey said: “With stars ranging from Zoe Rahman to Martin Taylor and from Troyka to Stan Tracey, we want as many jazz fans as possible to come along over the weekend.
“Tickets have been selling well which will ensure a great atmosphere.”
A taster for the festival takes place tonight (Thursday) with a performance of Chet Baker: Like Someone in Love at the Hawthorne Theatre on the campus.
You may also want to watch:
The music starts for real the following night with Echoes of Ellington playing the Hawthorne Theatre, followed by a late night jam session with the Gareth Williams Trio follows in the Studio.
Saturday highlights include acclaimed pianist Zoe Rahman and her quartet and the Dave Newton Quintet, while the great pianist Stan Tracey will perform with his quartet including Bobby Wellins.
- 1 Rail passengers warned of three-day closure at London King's Cross station
- 2 Fun fair set for town centre following April 12 reopening
- 3 "The most important lesson I've learned is to not give up" - Stevenage girl pays tribute to Duke of Edinburgh Awards
- 4 Arrest made after car crashes and overturns in Stevenage
- 5 Who are our Stevenage candidates for Local Elections 2021?
- 6 Early start catches Stevenage sleeping as Mansfield claim the three points
- 7 CCTV appeal after large amount of criminal damage to secured yard
- 8 Rave reviews come flying in as glam bar welcomes back first clients after months of lockdown
- 9 Local COVID-19 contact tracing service now up and running
- 10 Stevenage and Jack Smith still aiming for strong finish to season despite Mansfield frustrations
Sunday sees Stan’s son Clark take to the stage with his tribute to Art Blakey followed by a performance from Troyka. The Martin Taylor, Alan Barnes duo close the festival.
Weekend tickets are �90, and day tickets �55 on Saturday and �45 Sunday. Individual gig tickets are also available, with reductions for students and Herts Jazz members on all the events.
Go to www.hertsjazzfestival.co.uk or contact the box office on 01707 357117.