Herts Jazz Fest shows off greats
A festival of jazz begins tomorrow night (Friday) with some of the finest players in Britain and Europe on show.
The second Herts Jazz Festival takes place until Sunday at Campus West in Welwyn GC with 15 acts over the weekend.
Festival director and drummer Clark Tracey said: “With stars ranging from Zoe Rahman to Martin Taylor and from Troyka to Stan Tracey, we want as many jazz fans as possible to come along over the weekend.
“Tickets have been selling well which will ensure a great atmosphere.”
A taster for the festival takes place tonight (Thursday) with a performance of Chet Baker: Like Someone in Love at the Hawthorne Theatre on the campus.
The music starts for real the following night with Echoes of Ellington playing the Hawthorne Theatre, followed by a late night jam session with the Gareth Williams Trio follows in the Studio.
Saturday highlights include acclaimed pianist Zoe Rahman and her quartet and the Dave Newton Quintet, while the great pianist Stan Tracey will perform with his quartet including Bobby Wellins.
- 1 BID releases official statement after cancelling Christmas lights switch-on
- 2 Tranmere Rovers against Stevenage off after Storm Arwen damage
- 3 Villagers left waiting over an hour in cold for Arriva buses demand better service
- 4 Yellow warning for snow and wind in Herts as Storm Arwen sweeps in
- 5 15 adorable rescue pets in Hertfordshire looking for loving new homes this Christmas
- 6 Hertfordshire zoo Paradise Wildlife Park to temporarily close to the public in January
- 7 Hitchin named as happiest place to live in the East of England
- 8 Driver assaulted in racially aggravated attack following car crash
- 9 How Hertfordshire’s coronavirus figures compare to last year's lockdown
- 10 Stevenage Christmas lights switch-on: All you need to know
Sunday sees Stan’s son Clark take to the stage with his tribute to Art Blakey followed by a performance from Troyka. The Martin Taylor, Alan Barnes duo close the festival.
Weekend tickets are �90, and day tickets �55 on Saturday and �45 Sunday. Individual gig tickets are also available, with reductions for students and Herts Jazz members on all the events.
Go to www.hertsjazzfestival.co.uk or contact the box office on 01707 357117.