Ballot opens to win tickets to Hertfordshire’s top tourist attractions
- Credit: SHAUN WEBB
Free tickets to top tourist attractions and activities across the county – including ones in Stevenage and Letchworth – are up for grabs from today in the 2018 Herts Big Weekend ballot.
Registration for the third Herts Big Weekend is now open, with 51 attractions across the county offering amazing tickets.
Some of Hertfordshire’s most popular destinations will be opening their doors or offering special gifts to lucky ticket holders on Saturday, March 24 and Sunday, March 25, as part of Visit Herts’ annual celebration of the county’s tourism industry.
The Big Weekend is designed to get Herts people out and about exploring the amazing destinations on their doorstep during one ‘big weekend’.
Letchworth’s Broadway Cinema & Theatre, Hotel Cromwell in Stevenage, Standalone Farm, and Fairlands Valley Sailing Centre are among the North Herts venues offering tickets this year. Other places include Knebworth House, Stevenage Golf & Conference Centre and Stevenage Swimming Centre.
The event is part of English Tourism Week, which highlights the importance of tourism as one of the fastest growing sectors in the national economy.
Visit Herts chief executive Sandra Matthews-Marsh MBE said: “The Big Weekend marks the beginning of the tourist season and is a fantastic way to celebrate all that is on offer in Hertfordshire.
- 1 BID releases official statement after cancelling Christmas lights switch-on
- 2 Yellow warning for snow and wind in Herts as Storm Arwen sweeps in
- 3 Villagers left waiting over an hour in cold for Arriva buses demand better service
- 4 Hertfordshire zoo Paradise Wildlife Park to temporarily close to the public in January
- 5 15 adorable rescue pets in Hertfordshire looking for loving new homes this Christmas
- 6 Hitchin named as happiest place to live in the East of England
- 7 How Hertfordshire’s coronavirus figures compare to last year's lockdown
- 8 Here's what we know so far about the new Covid variant
- 9 Driver assaulted in racially aggravated attack following car crash
- 10 Councillor wants apology for Nadine Dorries 'misogynist' tweet
“We are very pleased to be part of the national English Tourism Week celebrations, and to use the occasion to give our local residents the chance to explore their home county and discover something new – for free!”
Lucky ballot winners won’t have to pay a penny to see behind the scenes of the Harry Potter films at the Warner Bros. Studio Tour London, get up close to the animals at Paradise Wildlife Park in Broxbourne or visit historic St Albans Cathedral over the final weekend of March.
To be in with a chance of winning free tickets to one of the participating attractions, residents must register at www.hertsbigweekend.co.uk by Sunday, March 11.
Two tickets per household will then be allocated to winners by random ballot, with some family tickets also available.
Last year, there were more than 19,000 applications for tickets to the big event.
Attractions have also donated extra tickets to the Family Holiday Association charity, which helps struggling families to enjoy a day out for free.
• To register, visit www.hertsbigweekend.co.uk
• For more information about Hertfordshire tourism, visit www.visitherts.co.uk
• The full list of participating attractions for Herts Big Weekend 2018 is:
Aldenham Country Park
Broadway Cinema & Theatre, Letchworth
Broadway Studio & Gallery
City and District of St Albans Tour Guides
Cream Teas & Tours at St Albans Cathedral
De Vere Theobalds Estate
ESSA Water Activities Centre
Fairlands Valley Sailing Centre
Frogmore Paper Mill
Go Ape, Wendover
Hanbury Manor Marriott Hotel & Country Club
Hatfield Park Farm
Henry Moore Studios and Gardens
Historic Hertford - Guided Walk
John Warner Sports Centre
Knebworth House, Gardens & Park
Laura Trott Leisure Centre
Lee Valley Caravan Park, Dobbs Weir
Lee Valley Park Farms
Lee Valley White Water Centre
Lussmanns Fish & Grill Restaurants
Mill Green Mill and Museum
Much Hadham Forge Museum
Natural History Museum at Tring
Needham House Hotel Spa
Paradise Wildlife Park & Zoological Society of Hertfordshire
Pendley Manor Hotel
Redbourn Village Museum
Royston & District Museum & Art Gallery
Rye House Crazy Golf
Rye House Kart Raceway
Rye House Laser Combat
Rye-Assic Adventure Park
St Albans Clock Tower
St Albans Museum + Gallery
St Albans Signal Box and Railway Museum
Stevenage Golf & Conference Centre
Stevenage Swimming Centre
Studios Tour of Radio Verulam 92.6FM
Tewin Bury Farm Hotel
Ventura Wildlife Park
Warner Bros. Studio Tour London
Willows Activity Farm