Guys & Dolls musical coming to Stevenage stage thanks to the Lytton Players
- Credit: Lytton Players
After their performance of Carousel two years ago, The Stevenage Lytton Players return in style to the Gordon Craig Theatre next week with the Broadway spectacular Guys & Dolls.
Widely considered to be the perfect romantic musical comedy, Guys and Dolls runs from Wednesday, October 18 to Saturday, October 21 at the Stevenage venue.
It is the story of small-time New York gamblers, whose efforts to keep their illegal gambling games alive look to cost them a lot more than they bargained for.
The story centres around Nathan Detroit, a broke illegal gambling entrepreneur, who attempts to find the venue fee for a Crapshooters game, taking advantage of the high-stakers in town.
Seizing opportunity, he manipulates crazy-betting high-roller Sky Masterson into accepting a $1,000 wager that Sky can’t take a doll of Nathan’s choosing on a date to Havana.
You may also want to watch:
After Nathan chooses the devoutly religious head of the Save-A-Soul mission, Sarah, Sky has to attempt the impossible seduction, whilst Nathan tries desperately to avoid marrying his fiancée of 14 years, Adelaide.
The show features timeless classic songs such as Luck Be A Lady and Sit Down, You’re Rocking The Boat.
- 1 Woman suffers facial injuries in pub assault
- 2 Two arrests made after serious assault in town centre
- 3 Our town in pictures: A journey through Stevenage's past and present
- 4 Famous faces: A look at Stevenage's most notable people
- 5 Prime Minister Boris Johnson opens Airbus' new £35 million facility
- 6 Stevenage through and through - nine generations of family see town transformed
- 7 Stevenage teen sentenced after sexually abusing young boys
- 8 Floats, fun and fancy dress: Do you remember Stevenage Carnival?
- 9 Video of woman spewing racial hate in Hitchin goes viral
- 10 Community rallies together to clean up church after 'mindless' vandalism
Movie legends Frank Sinatra and Marlon Brando featured in the adapted Hollywood blockbuster, alongside Jean Simmonds and Vivian Blaine.
Lytton Players director Slava Budin-Jones is encouraging her cast to bring out the humorous sub-plots of the books that the musical is based on, giving the characters a dynamic edge and authenticity.
“The books tell a lot of stories about the lesser known characters and they’re hilarious.
“This is a fantastic show, with no passenger roles. Everyone is involved in the hilarity and madness throughout.”
Guys & Dolls runs from October 18 to October 21 at 7.45pm, with a matinee on the Saturday at 2.30pm.
Tickets are £19, and concessions of £17 are available Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday matinee.
Performance are at the Gordon Craig Theatre in Lytton Way and this is a family-friendly show suitable for all ages.
• To book tickets, call the Gordon Craig Theatre box office on 01438 363 200 or book online on their website at www.gordon-craig.co.uk/the-lytton-players-guys-and-dolls-i1790