Guys & Dolls musical coming to Stevenage stage thanks to the Lytton Players
- Credit: Lytton Players
After their performance of Carousel two years ago, The Stevenage Lytton Players return in style to the Gordon Craig Theatre next week with the Broadway spectacular Guys & Dolls.
Widely considered to be the perfect romantic musical comedy, Guys and Dolls runs from Wednesday, October 18 to Saturday, October 21 at the Stevenage venue.
It is the story of small-time New York gamblers, whose efforts to keep their illegal gambling games alive look to cost them a lot more than they bargained for.
The story centres around Nathan Detroit, a broke illegal gambling entrepreneur, who attempts to find the venue fee for a Crapshooters game, taking advantage of the high-stakers in town.
Seizing opportunity, he manipulates crazy-betting high-roller Sky Masterson into accepting a $1,000 wager that Sky can’t take a doll of Nathan’s choosing on a date to Havana.
After Nathan chooses the devoutly religious head of the Save-A-Soul mission, Sarah, Sky has to attempt the impossible seduction, whilst Nathan tries desperately to avoid marrying his fiancée of 14 years, Adelaide.
The show features timeless classic songs such as Luck Be A Lady and Sit Down, You’re Rocking The Boat.
- 1 Plans to demolish two houses and build 20 flats in their place
- 2 Former pub owner admits to food hygiene offences
- 3 Stevenage woman arrested following 'dangerous driving and assault'
- 4 Man in his 80s seriously injured after Honda crash in Stevenage
- 5 Missing 25-year-old last seen in Coreys Mill Lane found in Stevenage
- 6 Foodies queue to try street food sourced, cooked and served in Herts
- 7 Robbie O'Keefe leaves Stevenage after 11 years
- 8 Get ready to geek out as a new gaming café comes to Stevenage
- 9 New avenue of trees planted in Hitchin's Bancroft
- 10 Grant Shapps MP: 'We are revolutionising rail travel'
Movie legends Frank Sinatra and Marlon Brando featured in the adapted Hollywood blockbuster, alongside Jean Simmonds and Vivian Blaine.
Lytton Players director Slava Budin-Jones is encouraging her cast to bring out the humorous sub-plots of the books that the musical is based on, giving the characters a dynamic edge and authenticity.
“The books tell a lot of stories about the lesser known characters and they’re hilarious.
“This is a fantastic show, with no passenger roles. Everyone is involved in the hilarity and madness throughout.”
Guys & Dolls runs from October 18 to October 21 at 7.45pm, with a matinee on the Saturday at 2.30pm.
Tickets are £19, and concessions of £17 are available Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday matinee.
Performance are at the Gordon Craig Theatre in Lytton Way and this is a family-friendly show suitable for all ages.
• To book tickets, call the Gordon Craig Theatre box office on 01438 363 200 or book online on their website at www.gordon-craig.co.uk/the-lytton-players-guys-and-dolls-i1790