Graphic Novel Review: Superior Spider-Man: A Troubled Mind
- Credit: Archant
Otto Octavius vs Peter Parker - for the control of Spider-Man’s body!
WHEN writer Dan Slott had arch-Spidey foe Doctor Octopus (aka Otto Octavius) take control of the webslinger’s body at the end of last year, many fans welcomed the get-out clause he also introduced to protect the psyche of Peter Parker.
Peter maintained an existence as a spiritual moral compass for the reformed supervillain, preventing him from crossing any unacceptable lines of behaviour, and allowing Otto to tap into his memories in order to gain inspiration from the sort of man Parker actually was.
Of course, having Peter regain control of his body from Octavius would have been far too easy, so Slott takes the extreme decision to kill off Parker all over again and upset Spider-Man’s legion of fans for a second time.
In retrospect, it would have been a pointless exercise to introduce Otto as the new, “superior” Spider-Man for a handful of months and then revert to the previous status quo, as there are obviously a plethora of stories Slott wants to tell with the former Doctor Octopus in the driving seat. But what was surprising was the speed at which he addressed the matter of Peter’s ghostly presence in Otto’s mind, and took drastic steps to eliminate it.
Events come to a head (literally), after Otto first brutally assaults troublesome anarchists Screwball and the Jester, and coming as it does shortly after he executed the psychopathic Massacre, leads to the webslinger being placed on probation by his teammates in the Avengers.
- 1 Range Rover stopped towing ‘insecure trailer’ on A1(M) in Stevenage
- 2 'Jobs will be lost' if Stevenage TK Maxx fails to relocate
- 3 Police called to concern for welfare after 'youths' seen on Stevenage roof
- 4 Crackdown on anti-social behaviour in Letchworth and Baldock
- 5 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
- 6 Hitchin to host Platinum Jubilee Carnival to honour Queen
- 7 Hertfordshire's Wilkestock festival to return after licensing row resolved
- 8 Plans to demolish riding stables to make way for housing
- 9 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 10 Man wanted in connection with police officer assault could be in Hitchin
But the trigger for a final reckoning between Parker and Octavius comes following a most unexpected development…
It’s certainly difficult to predict where Slott is heading with the new Superior Spidey. Is it a story of redemption? Of the changing face of heroism? Or something more? Whether we will ever see the real Peter Parker back in control of his body is something which remains uncertain for the time being, especially while there are such strong stories to be told with the allegedly-reformed Octavius, but whatever happens in the future, it’s certainly worth sticking around for the ride.