Graphic Novel Review: Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II
(Titan Books �9.99)
THE original 2008 video game of The Force Unleashed introduced the galaxy to Darth Vader’s secret apprentice, Galen Marek aka Starkiller, who worked against Empire and Alliance alike in the service of his Sith master until a final confrontation with Emperor Palpatine cost him his life…
Successfully filling in some of the hitherto unknown events between the movies Revenge of the Sith and A New Hope, the game was praised for its plotting and characterisation, although its bleak conclusion apparently ruled out any chance of a sequel.
Flash forward two years, and not only is The Force Unleashed saga continuing in a new console game, but a spin-off graphic novel is available for the first time (the original only spawned a novelisation)…
About a year before the Battle of Yavin, an apparent clone of Starkiller has escaped from captivity and is on a quest to determine both his true identity and the whereabouts of his lover Juno Eclipse. But Vader has set bounty hunter Boba Fett on the trail of his former apprentice…
You may also want to watch:
Designed to be read as a companion to the game rather than a straightforward adaptation, the graphic novel follows events from Fett’s perspective, as he encounters Starkiller’s allies and enemies and uncovers the aftermath of his battles with the Empire. As such there is an overwhelming feeling that you are missing something from this story, and it is almost impossible to enjoy the book without also playing the game, which is a disappointment.
That said, this is sure to appeal to Star Wars completists, and provides an interesting prelude to the events of the original movie (Episode IV).
- 1 Stevenage's Banksy brings another community mural to town's underpasses
- 2 11-year-old arrested on suspicion of attempted robbery
- 3 Major application submitted for 1,500 new homes on land west of Stevenage
- 4 Have you seen this wanted man with links to Stevenage?
- 5 Cyclist suffers bruises to face after being punched in assault
- 6 Man jailed after threatening terrified neighbour with rape and arson
- 7 Persistent town centre beggar and thief sentenced
- 8 Will loss of free parking cause death of high street?
- 9 Former head boy founds charity in Greece to help refugees
- 10 Urgent appeal to fix charity's leaky roof