Good to meet the gang
THE third and final performance of this year s Letchworth and Baldock Gang Show took place at St Francis College Theatre on Saturday evening. Celebrating 100 years of Baden Powell s scouting for boys, a cast of over 90 from 26 packs captivated the audienc
THE third and final performance of this year's Letchworth and Baldock Gang Show took place at St Francis College Theatre on Saturday evening.
Celebrating 100 years of Baden Powell's scouting for boys, a cast of over 90 from 26 packs captivated the audience. How different from the first Gang Show of 1932 in London's Scarlet Theatre.
Today Rainbows and Beavers, Rangers and Fellowship, girls and boys encompassing the ages of five to 25-plus enjoy the companionship, training and fun it has to offer.
After a raucous opening we met 'The Doctor', time traveller extraordinaire who arrived by tardis to show the first group of scouts on Brownsea Island how scouting would progress over the years, a shock indeed, especially on hearing the cry "EXTERMINATE!" Who could that be?
There were lovely colourful sketches, great dancing, as in I Love To Boogie, recitations and songs, with an inspirational version of Amazing Grace. I must admit to laughing when the youngsters with their huge rucksacks toppled over under the weight. Can other parents recognise their children going off to camp?
Everyone should be proud of themselves and what they achieved. The many hours put in by Dave Strong and his crew produced a happy show.
- 1 Range Rover stopped towing ‘insecure trailer’ on A1(M) in Stevenage
- 2 'Jobs will be lost' if Stevenage TK Maxx fails to relocate
- 3 Police called to concern for welfare after 'youths' seen on Stevenage roof
- 4 Crackdown on anti-social behaviour in Letchworth and Baldock
- 5 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
- 6 Hitchin to host Platinum Jubilee Carnival to honour Queen
- 7 Hertfordshire's Wilkestock festival to return after licensing row resolved
- 8 Plans to demolish riding stables to make way for housing
- 9 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 10 Man wanted in connection with police officer assault could be in Hitchin