Golden oldies from the Rodgers & Hammerstein songbook will ring out in Letchworth to help mark 50th anniverary of The Sound Of Music
- Credit: Archant
Letchworth Arcadians will be celebrating a golden anniversary in the world of musical theatre with a show which opens on Thursday night.
This year marks the 50th anniversary of the film version of Rodgers and Hammerstein’s evergreen The Sound of Music, starring Julie Andrews.
The Arcadians programme includes songs from the musical, but also many other Rodgers and Hammerstein favourites including Carousel, South Pacific and Oklahoma!
“This anniversary year seemed a good opportunity to celebrate the prodigious output of musical theatre’s most famous duo so we decided to mount this specially devised programme of songs from their best shows, many of which we have staged over the years,” said chairman Mary Driver.
The show is at the town’s Icknield Centre from Thursday until Saturday, with 7.30pm evening performances and a 2.30pm Saturday matinee.
You may also want to watch:
In addition to numbers from The Sound of Music, it will include solos, duets, and choruses from other magical musicals, with standards such as Oh What a Beautiful Morning, There is Nothing Like a Dame and Climb Every Mountain on the programme.
The show will be presented in cabaret style with seating at tables with a licensed bar.
- 1 What can I do and what opens when COVID lockdown rules ease on Monday, April 12?
- 2 Jail for thief who stole scrap metal worth hundreds
- 3 Where has the Duke of Edinburgh visited in Hertfordshire?
- 4 Have you seen wanted Stevenage man?
- 5 Complaints about Stevenage beauty store made to national fraud agency
- 6 Three household waste collection crews suspended
- 7 'I'm not getting vaccinated yet, but don't call me an anti-vaxxer'
- 8 Electrical store reopening with competition to win free 50-inch TV
- 9 Lucky Hitchin man wins new Tesla and £30,000
- 10 Abandoned elderly cats found inside taped up box in Stevenage
You can get tickets from the box office on 07511 519387.