Ghostly giggles on offer in a spirited school comedy as Settlement Players get set for Letchworth stage
- Credit: Archant
Ghostly goings-on are centre stage in the latest presentation from Letchworth’s Settlement Players, and all will be revealed when the curtain goes up next week.
Georgina Reid’s comedy Ladies of Spirit is centred around a school for girls founded by two sisters who have both died.
The staff get a hard time from their pupils and their unforgiving head, but help materialises from an unexpected quarter.
One production member described the action as “crazy but funny – the ‘anarchy in the staffroom’ of Teachers meets the ‘spirits causing chaos’ of Beetlejuice.”
Director David Smith said: “We were looking to put on a play with a large number of female characters.
You may also want to watch:
“I found very few which also offered the opportunity to demonstrate strength, depth, pathos and humour. For me, this one seemed to tick most boxes.”
As the only man in the room directing an all-female cast, he admits that rehearsals have been daunting at times:.
- 1 GP surgery outstrips mass vaccination centre's COVID-19 jab rate
- 2 £10,000 fine handed to organisers of remembrance service that saw 150 attendees
- 3 Family call on government to lower age of bowel cancer screenings after mum's death
- 4 Teenager charged with assisting offenders after Stevenage man's death
- 5 Special report: An insight into dog theft in Hertfordshire
- 6 Council leader reacts to recent stabbings in Stevenage
- 7 Free trees to be offered to North Herts residents for 'urban forest' plans
- 8 Stevenage road closed after crash
- 9 What to expect with pupils heading back to the classroom
- 10 Petition call over council's 'costly bulky waste collection service that encourages fly-tipping'
“It can turn into a WI meeting if you’re not careful,” he said. “I certainly feel very out-numbered.”
The show runs at The Little Theatre at The Settlement in Nevells Road from next Thursday, November 12, through to Saturday night, with curtain up each evening at 7.45pm.
Tickets are £8 from David’s Music in Eastcheap – pop in or call 01462 475900. You can also book online at settlement-players.co.uk/box-office.