Ghostly giggles on offer in a spirited school comedy as Settlement Players get set for Letchworth stage
- Credit: Archant
Ghostly goings-on are centre stage in the latest presentation from Letchworth’s Settlement Players, and all will be revealed when the curtain goes up next week.
Georgina Reid’s comedy Ladies of Spirit is centred around a school for girls founded by two sisters who have both died.
The staff get a hard time from their pupils and their unforgiving head, but help materialises from an unexpected quarter.
One production member described the action as “crazy but funny – the ‘anarchy in the staffroom’ of Teachers meets the ‘spirits causing chaos’ of Beetlejuice.”
Director David Smith said: “We were looking to put on a play with a large number of female characters.
You may also want to watch:
“I found very few which also offered the opportunity to demonstrate strength, depth, pathos and humour. For me, this one seemed to tick most boxes.”
As the only man in the room directing an all-female cast, he admits that rehearsals have been daunting at times:.
- 1 Lasting tribute to schoolgirl after tragic death
- 2 Surprise care home inspection finds residents at risk
- 3 'A day none of us will forget' - Princess Anne visits Lister Hospital
- 4 Crowds flock to Hitchin for Bucklersbury and Sun Street Day
- 5 'Fight for what is yours' - Alyssa Smith Jewellery's message following High Court win
- 6 Officers investigating vehicle interferences urge victims to come forward
- 7 Why grass in Stevenage and North Herts public areas isn't cut
- 8 Standon Calling called off after heavy rain and lightning risk
- 9 Two people taken to hospital with serious injuries after Clothall Road crash
- 10 The beach is back! Hitchin to welcome the return of sun and sand for the ultimate staycation
“It can turn into a WI meeting if you’re not careful,” he said. “I certainly feel very out-numbered.”
The show runs at The Little Theatre at The Settlement in Nevells Road from next Thursday, November 12, through to Saturday night, with curtain up each evening at 7.45pm.
Tickets are £8 from David’s Music in Eastcheap – pop in or call 01462 475900. You can also book online at settlement-players.co.uk/box-office.