Get Ready for Motown stage show in Stevenage celebrating Marvin Gaye hit
- Credit: Nigel Read
Prepare for a new stage show celebrating the golden anniversary of one of Motown Records’ most iconic songs.
Fifty years ago Marvin Gaye released I Heard It Through the Grapevine, going on to top the charts on both sides of the Atlantic to become the most successful Motown song of its time.
Touring show Get Ready is celebrating the hit’s golden anniversary, and will be arriving in Stevenage next month with a packed show of Motown classics.
It’s a chance to take a trip back to 1960s Detroit and enjoy the music of the Temptations, Four Tops, Supremes, Jackson 5, Stevie Wonder and Marvin Gaye.
Show producer Pete Tobit, of GRT Entertainments, said: “I Heard It Through the Grapevine ranks among Motown Records’ most iconic tunes.
“Its organ, snare drum and tambourine intro certainly makes it Motown’s most instantly recognisable song.”
Incredibly, the track was never intended to be released as a single.
- 1 Stevenage Major Works: Leaseholders sent final bills
- 2 North Herts deputy council leader Paul Clark passes away from COVID-19
- 3 Trust calls out council for causing 'uncertainty and chaos' by disrupting two-tier conversion
- 4 Prince Philip death joke tweets sparks probe as councillor leaves party
- 5 Downing Street: Our MPs' responses to alleged illegal Christmas party
- 6 175-year-old primary school saved after months of uncertainty
- 7 Turkeys for sale on Facebook ruffles feathers
- 8 Tranquil Turtle officially opens with dazzling launch event
- 9 Christmas markets return to Hitchin
- 10 Man charged with multiple burglaries after police chase
Indeed, Motown supremo Berry Gordy originally refused to entertain putting the song out as a 7in single as it had already been a hit for Gladys Knight and the Pips.
However, Marvin Gaye’s version was picked up as an album track by radio DJs, eventually forcing its release on October 30, 1968.
I Heard It Through the Grapevine is just one of 40 hits featured in the Get Ready stage show with other highlights including Dancing in the Street, Jimmy Mack, ABC, Stop in the Name of Love, Signed Sealed Delivered, Reach Out, Endless Love and, of course, Get Ready.
“The memories don’t stop at the Sixties,” says Pete.
“Get Ready follows the rise to super stardom of Diana, Michael and Stevie as the soul explosion of the 70s, 80s and beyond is brought to the stage in exhilarating style.
“Longing for a night of musical brilliance and non-stop hits? The must-see concert show of the year is on its way. Get ready... here it comes!”
Get Ready can be seen at the Gordon Craig Theatre on Friday, July 6.
Tickets cost £25.50 and the show starts at 7.30pm.
• Visit www.gordon-craig.co.uk to book tickets online or call the box office on 01438 363200.