Get on down for What Goes Up at Hitchin’s Market Theatre next week
- Credit: Archant
Adult panto is still putting bums on seats at Hitchin’s Market Theatre for another two months of ribald fun, but that doesn’t mean that the team at the Sun Street venue can’t tackle more serious issues at the same time.
The panto production is booked in on Friday and Saturday nights, but from next week Thursdays are set aside for something new.
What Goes Up… is the title of the piece, and you know how that phrase ends – so there’s no surprise that it tackles the darker side of celebrity life.
Stand-up comic Rowena is in the spotlight, and the story follows the highs, lows and excesses of her career. While the public see a successful stand-up and entertainer, what is going on in her private life is far more sinister.
Carrie Laurence – who has featured in this year’s panto and is a Market Theatre veteran – tackles the change of mood to play the celebrity with a secret.
You may also want to watch:
She says: “This is something very different for me, it’s a part I have really been able to get my teeth into.
“Rowena is an extremely complex character and it is certainly going to be a challenge for me to play someone like her.”
- 1 Stevenage's Banksy brings another community mural to town's underpasses
- 2 11-year-old arrested on suspicion of attempted robbery
- 3 Major application submitted for 1,500 new homes on land west of Stevenage
- 4 Have you seen this wanted man with links to Stevenage?
- 5 Cyclist suffers bruises to face after being punched in assault
- 6 Man jailed after threatening terrified neighbour with rape and arson
- 7 Persistent town centre beggar and thief sentenced
- 8 Will loss of free parking cause death of high street?
- 9 Former head boy founds charity in Greece to help refugees
- 10 Urgent appeal to fix charity's leaky roof
Theatre manager Glyn Doggett added: “This play tackles some very dark themes which have sadly become commonplace in the media in recent years.
“It will be hard hitting and certainly leave audiences with many questions. Carrie is a fantastic actress and we are all very excited about her performance.”
What Goes Up… comes with a warning of strong adult themes and bad language and is not suitable for those under 16.
The show runs on Thursday evenings until April 9 and will return later in the year for two shows in May. You can book £11 tickets on 01462 433553 or by visiting the box office at www.markettheatre.co.uk.