Get on down for What Goes Up at Hitchin’s Market Theatre next week
- Credit: Archant
Adult panto is still putting bums on seats at Hitchin’s Market Theatre for another two months of ribald fun, but that doesn’t mean that the team at the Sun Street venue can’t tackle more serious issues at the same time.
The panto production is booked in on Friday and Saturday nights, but from next week Thursdays are set aside for something new.
What Goes Up… is the title of the piece, and you know how that phrase ends – so there’s no surprise that it tackles the darker side of celebrity life.
Stand-up comic Rowena is in the spotlight, and the story follows the highs, lows and excesses of her career. While the public see a successful stand-up and entertainer, what is going on in her private life is far more sinister.
Carrie Laurence – who has featured in this year’s panto and is a Market Theatre veteran – tackles the change of mood to play the celebrity with a secret.
You may also want to watch:
She says: “This is something very different for me, it’s a part I have really been able to get my teeth into.
“Rowena is an extremely complex character and it is certainly going to be a challenge for me to play someone like her.”
- 1 Woman suffers facial injuries in pub assault
- 2 Two arrests made after serious assault in town centre
- 3 Our town in pictures: A journey through Stevenage's past and present
- 4 Prime Minister Boris Johnson opens Airbus' new £35 million facility
- 5 Famous faces: A look at Stevenage's most notable people
- 6 Stevenage through and through - nine generations of family see town transformed
- 7 Stevenage teen sentenced after sexually abusing young boys
- 8 Floats, fun and fancy dress: Do you remember Stevenage Carnival?
- 9 Community rallies together to clean up church after 'mindless' vandalism
- 10 Video of woman spewing racial hate in Hitchin goes viral
Theatre manager Glyn Doggett added: “This play tackles some very dark themes which have sadly become commonplace in the media in recent years.
“It will be hard hitting and certainly leave audiences with many questions. Carrie is a fantastic actress and we are all very excited about her performance.”
What Goes Up… comes with a warning of strong adult themes and bad language and is not suitable for those under 16.
The show runs on Thursday evenings until April 9 and will return later in the year for two shows in May. You can book £11 tickets on 01462 433553 or by visiting the box office at www.markettheatre.co.uk.