Fyrefly make their mark with Stain
THREE 30-somethings are making their mark in America having already broken through Down Under. Fyrefly, who hail from Letchworth GC and Langford, are celebrating after their debut song Stain reached number one after seven weeks in the US indie radio airpl
THREE 30-somethings are making their mark in America having already broken through Down Under.
Fyrefly, who hail from Letchworth GC and Langford, are celebrating after their debut song Stain reached number one after seven weeks in the US indie radio airplay IAC Big 50 chart, number one in the Hard Alternative chart and number one in the overall genre chart.
Singer Miche Follano says success on these charts is hard to come by and many artists take years to get a song selected for them.
He said: "For first timers our IAC success is unprecedented - we're just so excited!
You may also want to watch:
"The song was included on a compilation released before Christmas and things have just rolled on from there."
The group signed with Australian indie label Blue Pie Inc in November.
- 1 Regeneration plans submitted to 'breathe new life' into Stevenage retail park
- 2 Man suffers head injury after fall from moving car
- 3 Video of woman spewing racial hate in Hitchin goes viral
- 4 Stevenage teen sentenced after sexually abusing young boys
- 5 From Silkin's vision to regeneration: How our town has evolved through the years
- 6 From Doctor Foster to Midsomer Murders... North Herts on screen in these BritBox series
- 7 Bomb squad attends residential street in Letchworth
- 8 Proposed 5G mast labelled 'monstrosity' by objecting residents and councillors
- 9 Stevenage celebrates its 75th birthday: Editor's letter
- 10 6 things to do in North Herts during the summer holidays
They had self-funded the recording of their debut album Boho Sheep due to the industry's reluctance to work with bands over the age of 30.
Miche said: "The album is making its way into shops in Oz and it's starting to build momentum.
"We should be touring Down Under by the end of the year. We've got over 12,000 friends on MySpace and it's growing daily."
As well as lead singer Miche, there is Blue on guitar, keyboards, programming and backing vocals and Jimi McCafferty on drums also does backing vocals and plays percussion and other household objects!
But the band is also currently recruiting for a cellist, violinist and percussionist.
Miche added: "We've just finished a run of London dates, now we're going into rehearsals and will be back with an awesome show that will blow people away!"
They describe their sound as "A chilled rock, contemporary music sound, with heavy riffs, meaningful lyrics, and emotional vocals.
"We want to give people the sound they want and the lyrics they crave."
Their influences include Led Zeppelin, The Kinks, Portishead and David Bowie.
Boho Sheep is available from iTunes, Napster, and all major digital stores.
The first single You is scheduled for physical release in May with the album coming shortly after.
In the meantime the band have been busy selling the album via the internet and in local record stores including David's Music Shop, The Music Place and Surfin Café in Letchworth, CD Heaven in Hitchin and Bookworms in Biggleswade.
Find out more at www.myspace.com/fyreflyrock or www.fyreflymusic.co.uk