North Hertfordshire Museum exhibition features renowned Hitchin artist FL Griggs
- Credit: Archant
The North Hertfordshire Museum is now hosting an exhibition of work by noted Hitchin artist FL Griggs, one of the foremost etchers of the early 20th century.
The free exhibition, at the museum next to Hitchin Town Hall in Brand Street, opened on Friday and is set to run until November 18. It displays just under 40 examples of Griggs’ work, spanning his career.
Griggs, son of a baker, was born in Hitchin in 1876. Many of his works reflect his passion for the countryside and medieval architecture.
He is most famous as a draughtsman and printmaker. His unsurpassed reputation as an etcher led to his election in 1931 to the Royal Academy of Arts, where he was one of the first etchers to hold full membership. He died in 1938.
This exhibition features work from the Ashmolean Museum in Oxford, the North Herts Museum itself, and some rarely-seen loans from private collections.
You may also want to watch:
Ashmolean curator Katherine Wodehouse will be coming to the museum on October 27 to give an illustrated talk about FL Griggs, followed by a guided tour of the exhibition, starting at 5pm.
Councillor Tony Hunter, executive member for community engagement at the district council, said: “We are honoured to be hosting this exhibition of the works of such a world-renowned local artist.
- 1 Major application submitted for 1,500 new homes on land west of Stevenage
- 2 Arson attack causes thousands of pounds worth of damage to rural Herts pub
- 3 Man left seriously injured after motorcycle crash
- 4 Plan to transform Baldock pub in to block of six flats is approved
- 5 Decision for development off Letchworth country lane deferred
- 6 Venue loss forces lifeline community group to close
- 7 Baby boutique born in lockdown welcomes first customers
- 8 Is the era of face-to-face GP appointments over in Hertfordshire?
- 9 Bringing home the bacon: Martyn's joy at Radio 1 rasher fame
- 10 Will loss of free parking cause death of high street?
“We invite everyone to come along and enjoy these works of art for themselves and to learn more about the fascinating life of FL Griggs.”
The exhibition is open from Tuesday to Saturday each week from 10.30am to 4.30pm. Entry is via Hitchin Town Hall.
To find out more or enquire about wheelchair access, contact the museum team on 01462 474236 or email@example.com.
You can also find out more at facebook.com/northhertsmuseum.