North Hertfordshire Museum exhibition features renowned Hitchin artist FL Griggs
- Credit: Archant
The North Hertfordshire Museum is now hosting an exhibition of work by noted Hitchin artist FL Griggs, one of the foremost etchers of the early 20th century.
The free exhibition, at the museum next to Hitchin Town Hall in Brand Street, opened on Friday and is set to run until November 18. It displays just under 40 examples of Griggs’ work, spanning his career.
Griggs, son of a baker, was born in Hitchin in 1876. Many of his works reflect his passion for the countryside and medieval architecture.
He is most famous as a draughtsman and printmaker. His unsurpassed reputation as an etcher led to his election in 1931 to the Royal Academy of Arts, where he was one of the first etchers to hold full membership. He died in 1938.
This exhibition features work from the Ashmolean Museum in Oxford, the North Herts Museum itself, and some rarely-seen loans from private collections.
You may also want to watch:
Ashmolean curator Katherine Wodehouse will be coming to the museum on October 27 to give an illustrated talk about FL Griggs, followed by a guided tour of the exhibition, starting at 5pm.
Councillor Tony Hunter, executive member for community engagement at the district council, said: “We are honoured to be hosting this exhibition of the works of such a world-renowned local artist.
- 1 Hitchin teenager convicted of raping three young people
- 2 Motorcyclist dies after crash near Hitchin
- 3 Prime Minister Boris Johnson opens Airbus' new £35 million facility
- 4 Woman suffers facial injuries in pub assault
- 5 Two arrests made after serious assault in town centre
- 6 Topping out ceremony marks significant progress to new bus interchange
- 7 Rapist faces 'considerable custodial sentence' after guilty verdict
- 8 Treble for Codi Lee-Spavins and three points for Stotfold in victory over Letchworth
- 9 8 filming locations of Netflix royal drama The Crown in Hertfordshire
- 10 Herts Council has 'pattern of mishandling children's services complaints'
“We invite everyone to come along and enjoy these works of art for themselves and to learn more about the fascinating life of FL Griggs.”
The exhibition is open from Tuesday to Saturday each week from 10.30am to 4.30pm. Entry is via Hitchin Town Hall.
To find out more or enquire about wheelchair access, contact the museum team on 01462 474236 or email@example.com.
You can also find out more at facebook.com/northhertsmuseum.