Film Review: Letters to Juliet
LETTERS TO JULIET
2010 – 105mn – PG
Directed by Gary Winick. Starring Amanda Seyfried, Gael Garcia Bernal, Vanessa Redgrave, Franco Nero.
Review by Walter Nichols
YOUNG American Sophie (Amanda Seyfried) travels to Verona, Italy, hometown of Romeo & Juliet, and joins a group of volunteers who respond to letters sent to Juliet seeking advice about love. But after answering one letter dated 1951, she inspires the letter’s author (Vanessa Redgrave) to return to Italy in search of her long-lost love…
Predictable melodramatic fluff, Letters to Juliet is livened up by its two older leads, Redgrave and Franco Nero (a couple in real life). Seyfried is good and very relatable as well. But it’s one of those films that’s like a bad, cheesy summer read given away for free with an issue of Glamour – it’s clich�d, sentimental, witless, and dull, and coasts lazily on the concept of attractive men in a sun soaked idyllic Mediterranean town. It’s directed without any invention by Gary Winick, the man who has also given us masterpieces such as Bride Wars, Charlotte’s Web, and the Sex and the City rip-off show Lipstick Jungle.
If you like your schmaltz, if it’s a very rainy summer, and if you find ten pounds you don’t mind wasting, Letters to Juliet might just be for you. Just.
- 1 BID releases official statement after cancelling Christmas lights switch-on
- 2 Yellow warning for snow and wind in Herts as Storm Arwen sweeps in
- 3 Villagers left waiting over an hour in cold for Arriva buses demand better service
- 4 Hertfordshire zoo Paradise Wildlife Park to temporarily close to the public in January
- 5 How Hertfordshire’s coronavirus figures compare to last year's lockdown
- 6 15 adorable rescue pets in Hertfordshire looking for loving new homes this Christmas
- 7 Hitchin named as happiest place to live in the East of England
- 8 Here's what we know so far about the new Covid variant
- 9 Symonds Green development raises the number of social homes in Stevenage
- 10 Driver assaulted in racially aggravated attack following car crash
Star rating: 2 out of 5 stars