Fame the musical comes to Stevenage
- Credit: Archant
TRAVEL 3,500 miles to the west and 30 years back for a timeless musical which captivated a generation.
Fame: The Musical will be coming to The Gordon Craig Theatre, Stevenage, later this month.
Rehearsals started on Monday, and it promises to be an action-packed production, full of amazing dance routines, high energy musical numbers and fabulous costumes – including plenty of leg warmers, of course.
The plot follows a group of New York performing arts students who are trying to make a name for themselves.
It explores issues such as prejudice, identity, self-worth, literacy, sexuality, drug abuse and perseverance.
You may also want to watch:
Cast members come from around the world, with Brazil, USA, Australia and Malta all represented.
They include Channel 4’s Misfits star Ricardo Castro, who plays Tyrone Jackson, and Home and Away’s Brett Nelson.
- 1 Regeneration plans submitted to 'breathe new life' into Stevenage retail park
- 2 Video of woman spewing racial hate in Hitchin goes viral
- 3 Man suffers head injury after fall from moving car
- 4 Stevenage teen sentenced after sexually abusing young boys
- 5 Bomb squad attends residential street in Letchworth
- 6 From Doctor Foster to Midsomer Murders... North Herts on screen in these BritBox series
- 7 Proposed 5G mast labelled 'monstrosity' by objecting residents and councillors
- 8 Demolition work begins on former Matalan site to make way for flats
- 9 From Silkin's vision to regeneration: How our town has evolved through the years
- 10 Train services resume after earlier disruption at Royston
But local favourites are also in the production, including previous Gordon Craig performers Matt Lee Steer, Kimberley Ensor, Cris Blackham and Hitchin Starlight Theatre School teacher Elloise Jones.
Venue caught up with Ricardo on Monday, who said: “Rehearsals are really exciting at the moment as we have only just started getting to know each other and learning the production. There is a real buzz in the room as all of the cast are really looking forward to bringing such an iconic show back to life.
“The audience can expect a really vibrant, high energy performance with a fresh new take on this classic. But we do keep true to the essence of what Fame was when it first came out – we can promise you plenty of leg warmers.
“I’m looking forward to working with an amazing and talented bunch of people and having the chance to be part of such an incredible show. I’ve never performed at the Gordon Craig before and I can’t wait to see what the audience thinks of all our hard work.”
Fame takes to the stage on Thursday, August 22, and runs through until the following Saturday. There are shows at various times throughout the week.
To buy tickets, which start at £16, call the Gordon Craig box office on 01438 363200 or visit www.gordon-craig.co.uk