Fading TV star learns her lesson in cutting comedy as curtain goes up in Letchworth
- Credit: Archant
Never kick someone on the way up, you might meet them on the way down and they’ll be only too happy to put the boot in – that’s the grim lesson for a fading daytime TV star which will be played out on a Letchworth stage next week.
My Own Show, a comedy by Lesley Bruce, opens at the Letchworth Settlement in Nevells Road on Thursday, February 19, and runs until the following Saturday.
The Settlement Players production is a cautionary tale with an all-female cast.
Director Pat Baskerville said: “Although it not very well known I chose this play as I had five great actresses that wanted to do a play together, and this had five great female parts.
“It is bitingly funny in places but food for thought about how you treat people.
“The old adage ‘never kick someone on the way up, you may meet them on the way down’ is especially relevant.
“It is so nice to have Val Barber back on stage, a member for more years than we can remember, alongside Jo Roskilly, who first appeared on stage with the Players aged 10, and some newer faces.
- 1 Plans to demolish two houses and build 20 flats in their place
- 2 Former pub owner admits to food hygiene offences
- 3 Man in his 80s seriously injured after Honda crash in Stevenage
- 4 Stevenage woman arrested following 'dangerous driving and assault'
- 5 Missing 25-year-old last seen in Coreys Mill Lane found in Stevenage
- 6 Get ready to geek out as a new gaming café comes to Stevenage
- 7 New avenue of trees planted in Hitchin's Bancroft
- 8 Spaceship 'landing' at school grabs Prime Minister's attention
- 9 Foodies queue to try street food sourced, cooked and served in Herts
- 10 Year-long car park closure as construction for new multi-storey set to begin
“The rehearsals have been really fun with everyone laughing much too much at first.
“Thankfully I managed to get them under control and they have now managed straight faces through most of the dialogue. We are all really looking forward to sharing this play with audiences – it will be a good night out!”
Performances start at 7.45pm and £8 tickets are available from David’s Music in Eastcheap, Letchworth. Curtain up at 7.45pm.
You can find out more about the Settlement Players online at www.settlement-players.org.uk.