Fading TV star learns her lesson in cutting comedy as curtain goes up in Letchworth
- Credit: Archant
Never kick someone on the way up, you might meet them on the way down and they’ll be only too happy to put the boot in – that’s the grim lesson for a fading daytime TV star which will be played out on a Letchworth stage next week.
My Own Show, a comedy by Lesley Bruce, opens at the Letchworth Settlement in Nevells Road on Thursday, February 19, and runs until the following Saturday.
The Settlement Players production is a cautionary tale with an all-female cast.
Director Pat Baskerville said: “Although it not very well known I chose this play as I had five great actresses that wanted to do a play together, and this had five great female parts.
“It is bitingly funny in places but food for thought about how you treat people.
You may also want to watch:
“The old adage ‘never kick someone on the way up, you may meet them on the way down’ is especially relevant.
“It is so nice to have Val Barber back on stage, a member for more years than we can remember, alongside Jo Roskilly, who first appeared on stage with the Players aged 10, and some newer faces.
- 1 Five Guys to open as lockdown restrictions ease
- 2 Historic school to close at end of academic year
- 3 Development plans for 16.5-acre Stevenage site could create 1,000 jobs
- 4 Unannounced safety inspection of care home following COVID-19 outbreak
- 5 Decision made on opening play areas in Stevenage
- 6 Council tax to rise in county after 'extraordinary' year
- 7 Man arrested in connection with petrol station robbery
- 8 Increase in town centre parking charges 'is no help to beleaguered shops clinging on'
- 9 Seven things that are gone but not forgotten in Stevenage
- 10 COVID deaths fall by 50% in Herts hospitals
“The rehearsals have been really fun with everyone laughing much too much at first.
“Thankfully I managed to get them under control and they have now managed straight faces through most of the dialogue. We are all really looking forward to sharing this play with audiences – it will be a good night out!”
Performances start at 7.45pm and £8 tickets are available from David’s Music in Eastcheap, Letchworth. Curtain up at 7.45pm.
You can find out more about the Settlement Players online at www.settlement-players.org.uk.