Early Doors duo set their sights on a special night at Hitchin’s Club 85
- Credit: Archant
Up and coming names will be featuring on the bill at the first Club 85 night organised by the DJ duo who call themselves Early Doors Disco.
Andrew Green from Hitchin and Stotfold-based Luke Murphy-Wearmouth have turned promoters after being inspired by a recent visit to the Whinbush Road venue by the highly-regarded Sleaford Mods. That got them thinking that other performers with a national reputation should be adding the redoubtable Hitchin venue to their timetables.
Having cut their teeth staging early-evening sessions in London for commuters who didn’t want to fret about the last train, setting something up closer to home seemed a natural move.
The headliner on their first night is about as far from disco as you can get – folk singer Will Varley has already tramped 500 miles along England’s south coast on a walking tour this year and will be playing with The Proclaimers over the summer, but first he’s heading for Hertfordshire.
Also on the bill are South London indie five-piece Savage Nomads, who have been relentlessly racking up live appearances since forming in 2008 and have a deserved reputation for high-energy performance, as well as Bedfordshire-based singer songwriter Rhys Kirkman.
You may also want to watch:
Luke, originally an Aussie who put down roots in North Herts with his Letchworth-born wife in 2009, said: “We’re not tying ourself to any one genre of music – we want to bring the best of what’s out there. There is so much great music out there, and too much of it is confining itself to London.”
Tickets for the gig on Saturday, July 4, are £8 in advance or £10 on the door – you can find out more, as well as checking out other gigs on the Club 85 calendar, online at www.club-85.co.uk.
- 1 Our town in pictures: A journey through Stevenage's past and present
- 2 Famous faces: A look at Stevenage's most notable people
- 3 Stevenage through and through - nine generations of family see town transformed
- 4 Stevenage teen sentenced after sexually abusing young boys
- 5 Video of woman spewing racial hate in Hitchin goes viral
- 6 From Silkin's vision to regeneration: How our town has evolved through the years
- 7 Regeneration plans submitted to 'breathe new life' into Stevenage retail park
- 8 Man suffers head injury after fall from moving car
- 9 Stevenage celebrates its 75th birthday: Editor's letter
- 10 Fit for a Queen! A look back at Stevenage's royal visits