DVD Review: Whip It (12A)
A big-hearted, all-girl romp on rollerskates
Bliss (Juno’s Ellen Page) is a Texas teenager fed up with her small town life.
Looking to break free from the conformist mentality and middle-class aspirations that surround her she finds kindred spirits in a struggling all-girl roller derby team.
A sport that had a brief heyday in the US in the 70s (remember the deadly sci-fi film version Rollerball?), the feisty fight on rollerskates is just up her street to vent some frustrations.
Charming, big-hearted and funny, debut director Drew Barrymore has managed to do the near impossible – make an enjoyable girl power coming-of-age comedy.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Woman suffers facial injuries in pub assault
- 2 Two arrests made after serious assault in town centre
- 3 Prime Minister Boris Johnson opens Airbus' new £35 million facility
- 4 Our town in pictures: A journey through Stevenage's past and present
- 5 Famous faces: A look at Stevenage's most notable people
- 6 Stevenage through and through - nine generations of family see town transformed
- 7 Stevenage teen sentenced after sexually abusing young boys
- 8 Community rallies together to clean up church after 'mindless' vandalism
- 9 Brett Donnelly happy with squad building as Stotfold aim for promotion goal
- 10 Floats, fun and fancy dress: Do you remember Stevenage Carnival?