DVD Review: Whip It (12A)
A big-hearted, all-girl romp on rollerskates
Bliss (Juno’s Ellen Page) is a Texas teenager fed up with her small town life.
Looking to break free from the conformist mentality and middle-class aspirations that surround her she finds kindred spirits in a struggling all-girl roller derby team.
A sport that had a brief heyday in the US in the 70s (remember the deadly sci-fi film version Rollerball?), the feisty fight on rollerskates is just up her street to vent some frustrations.
Charming, big-hearted and funny, debut director Drew Barrymore has managed to do the near impossible – make an enjoyable girl power coming-of-age comedy.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Rail passengers warned of three-day closure at London King's Cross station
- 2 Fun fair set for town centre following April 12 reopening
- 3 "The most important lesson I've learned is to not give up" - Stevenage girl pays tribute to Duke of Edinburgh Awards
- 4 Arrest made after car crashes and overturns in Stevenage
- 5 Who are our Stevenage candidates for Local Elections 2021?
- 6 Early start catches Stevenage sleeping as Mansfield claim the three points
- 7 CCTV appeal after large amount of criminal damage to secured yard
- 8 Rave reviews come flying in as glam bar welcomes back first clients after months of lockdown
- 9 Stevenage and Jack Smith still aiming for strong finish to season despite Mansfield frustrations
- 10 Local COVID-19 contact tracing service now up and running