DVD Review: Whip It (12A)
A big-hearted, all-girl romp on rollerskates
Bliss (Juno’s Ellen Page) is a Texas teenager fed up with her small town life.
Looking to break free from the conformist mentality and middle-class aspirations that surround her she finds kindred spirits in a struggling all-girl roller derby team.
A sport that had a brief heyday in the US in the 70s (remember the deadly sci-fi film version Rollerball?), the feisty fight on rollerskates is just up her street to vent some frustrations.
Charming, big-hearted and funny, debut director Drew Barrymore has managed to do the near impossible – make an enjoyable girl power coming-of-age comedy.
- 1 Stevenage Major Works: Leaseholders sent final bills
- 2 North Herts deputy council leader Paul Clark passes away from COVID-19
- 3 Trust calls out council for causing 'uncertainty and chaos' by disrupting two-tier conversion
- 4 Prince Philip death joke tweets sparks probe as councillor leaves party
- 5 Downing Street: Our MPs' responses to alleged illegal Christmas party
- 6 175-year-old primary school saved after months of uncertainty
- 7 Turkeys for sale on Facebook ruffles feathers
- 8 Tranquil Turtle officially opens with dazzling launch event
- 9 Man charged with multiple burglaries after police chase
- 10 Christmas markets return to Hitchin