DVD Review: Men in Black 3
Review by Toby Lattimore
Men in Black 3 (PG)
The important thing about Men in Black 3 is that it is directed by Barry Sonnenfeld. Sonnenfeld directed the first Men in Black as well as Wild Wild West and obviously understands Will Smith who in his own right is a producer of blockbusters as well as a superstar. Sonnenfeld’s original vision of the concept of the Men in Black is carried through in this film and he rightly focuses on Smith who is an expert on screen. Smith is perhaps one of the most comfortable and likable figures to ever appear in a sci-fi and his emotional foil (and partner) Tommy Lee Jones as Agent K is suitably bland and understated to counteract any excess bravado.
Agent J played by Will Smith has to go back in time and rescue Agent K while saving the world from an alien played by the very scary Jemaine Clement, who’s character is monstrously grim and about to change the course of history, save his species and instigate the invasion of the planet Earth. Smith encounters the young Agent K played by the excellent Josh Brolin (No Country for Old Men) who replicates a young Jones superbly.
There are many chuckles and a couple of laugh-out-loud moments in the film as well a poignant and revealing story twist which, in the context of a outlandish science fiction film, surprisingly jumps out of left field and pulls at the heart strings. The exaggerated effects and sometimes crazy ideas which couple the story together are elements you have to accept as it rockets ahead on screen. Men in Black 3 is a fun and far-fetched which is what you sign up to when you switch on and engage.
Visit Toby’s Blog at www.tobyreviews.blogspot.co.uk/ or tweet him @TobyReviews
- 1 Council to build new car park to improve entrance into town
- 2 Stevenage siblings launch funeral fundraiser following Covid death of mum at 47
- 3 ATM stolen during ram raid at Baldock store
- 4 Schoolgirl inappropriately touched while walking home
- 5 Two North Herts councillors sent council tax summons
- 6 10-year-old Ayana makes 'phenomenal' stage debut in The Lion King
- 7 Latest on Stevenage Marks & Spencer store opening
- 8 Hitchin Forum: Westward Ho! Stevenage first, North Herts next!
- 9 MP insists no one in Mid Beds is angry with the PM over partygate
- 10 Simply four-some from Hitchin Town as Hutchinson and Stead blow Ives away