DVD Review: Men in Black 3
Review by Toby Lattimore
Men in Black 3 (PG)
The important thing about Men in Black 3 is that it is directed by Barry Sonnenfeld. Sonnenfeld directed the first Men in Black as well as Wild Wild West and obviously understands Will Smith who in his own right is a producer of blockbusters as well as a superstar. Sonnenfeld’s original vision of the concept of the Men in Black is carried through in this film and he rightly focuses on Smith who is an expert on screen. Smith is perhaps one of the most comfortable and likable figures to ever appear in a sci-fi and his emotional foil (and partner) Tommy Lee Jones as Agent K is suitably bland and understated to counteract any excess bravado.
Agent J played by Will Smith has to go back in time and rescue Agent K while saving the world from an alien played by the very scary Jemaine Clement, who’s character is monstrously grim and about to change the course of history, save his species and instigate the invasion of the planet Earth. Smith encounters the young Agent K played by the excellent Josh Brolin (No Country for Old Men) who replicates a young Jones superbly.
There are many chuckles and a couple of laugh-out-loud moments in the film as well a poignant and revealing story twist which, in the context of a outlandish science fiction film, surprisingly jumps out of left field and pulls at the heart strings. The exaggerated effects and sometimes crazy ideas which couple the story together are elements you have to accept as it rockets ahead on screen. Men in Black 3 is a fun and far-fetched which is what you sign up to when you switch on and engage.
You may also want to watch:
Visit Toby’s Blog at www.tobyreviews.blogspot.co.uk/ or tweet him @TobyReviews
- 1 What can I do and what opens when COVID lockdown rules ease on Monday, April 12?
- 2 Jail for thief who stole scrap metal worth hundreds
- 3 Where has the Duke of Edinburgh visited in Hertfordshire?
- 4 Have you seen wanted Stevenage man?
- 5 Complaints about Stevenage beauty store made to national fraud agency
- 6 Three household waste collection crews suspended
- 7 'I'm not getting vaccinated yet, but don't call me an anti-vaxxer'
- 8 Lucky Hitchin man wins new Tesla and £30,000
- 9 Electrical store reopening with competition to win free 50-inch TV
- 10 Abandoned elderly cats found inside taped up box in Stevenage