Cuban violinist Omar Puente inspires next generation in Hitchin
- Credit: Archant
Young and old alike were inspired when Cuban violinist Omar Puente visited Hitchin Violin School at the weekend.
Omar gave a violin masterclass for instrumentalists of all abilities on Saturday at Westmill Community Centre, with pupils as young as three years old.
Omar now lives in the UK, and Hitchin Violin School’s Caroline Owen was his first student in this country. She said bringing him to her hometown was her way of giving something back.
She told the Comet: “It is so important for the next generation of musicians to have an experience like this, a memory of a lifetime, in a time where talent is portrayed in the mainstream media as a quick fix to stardom.
“Young people observed how investing time in your skills now can have profound results.”
Omar, who had performed at Ronnie Scott’s Jazz Club in Soho the night before, happily signed copies of his latest album Best Foot Forward for the young musicians.
The visit made a keen impression on the youngsters. Gary Powell said his eight-year-old daughter Matilda had insisted it was the best day of her life.
- 1 BID releases official statement after cancelling Christmas lights switch-on
- 2 Yellow warning for snow and wind in Herts as Storm Arwen sweeps in
- 3 Villagers left waiting over an hour in cold for Arriva buses demand better service
- 4 15 adorable rescue pets in Hertfordshire looking for loving new homes this Christmas
- 5 Hitchin named as happiest place to live in the East of England
- 6 Hertfordshire zoo Paradise Wildlife Park to temporarily close to the public in January
- 7 Here's what we know so far about the new Covid variant
- 8 Tranmere Rovers against Stevenage off after Storm Arwen damage
- 9 Driver assaulted in racially aggravated attack following car crash
- 10 How Hertfordshire’s coronavirus figures compare to last year's lockdown
He said: “I was watching her closely during the time there and she hardly took her eyes off him.
“It was amazing – what a fantastic guy Omar is. Genuine, warm and truly inspirational. An unforgettable day.”
To find out more about Hitchin Violin School or to get involved in future projects, get in touch with Caroline at carolineviolinist.com.