Cuban violinist Omar Puente inspires next generation in Hitchin
- Credit: Archant
Young and old alike were inspired when Cuban violinist Omar Puente visited Hitchin Violin School at the weekend.
Omar gave a violin masterclass for instrumentalists of all abilities on Saturday at Westmill Community Centre, with pupils as young as three years old.
Omar now lives in the UK, and Hitchin Violin School’s Caroline Owen was his first student in this country. She said bringing him to her hometown was her way of giving something back.
She told the Comet: “It is so important for the next generation of musicians to have an experience like this, a memory of a lifetime, in a time where talent is portrayed in the mainstream media as a quick fix to stardom.
“Young people observed how investing time in your skills now can have profound results.”
You may also want to watch:
Omar, who had performed at Ronnie Scott’s Jazz Club in Soho the night before, happily signed copies of his latest album Best Foot Forward for the young musicians.
The visit made a keen impression on the youngsters. Gary Powell said his eight-year-old daughter Matilda had insisted it was the best day of her life.
- 1 Letchworth BID responds after manager unexpectedly jailed
- 2 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 3 Stevenage unveil Amazon's Prime Gaming as new sponsors on new kit
- 4 Christopher Hewett: Teenage boys found guilty of murder and manslaughter
- 5 Walk-in vaccine slots available this week
- 6 Police hunt 36-year-old wanted for harassment and restraining order breaches
- 7 How many people in our area have been 'pinged' by NHS COVID app?
- 8 Tributes after Stevenage Forum co-founder dies
- 9 Girl reportedly touched by man while walking home from school
- 10 Did you know St Trinian's school was once in north Hertfordshire?
He said: “I was watching her closely during the time there and she hardly took her eyes off him.
“It was amazing – what a fantastic guy Omar is. Genuine, warm and truly inspirational. An unforgettable day.”
To find out more about Hitchin Violin School or to get involved in future projects, get in touch with Caroline at carolineviolinist.com.