Cuban violinist Omar Puente inspires next generation in Hitchin
- Credit: Archant
Young and old alike were inspired when Cuban violinist Omar Puente visited Hitchin Violin School at the weekend.
Omar gave a violin masterclass for instrumentalists of all abilities on Saturday at Westmill Community Centre, with pupils as young as three years old.
Omar now lives in the UK, and Hitchin Violin School’s Caroline Owen was his first student in this country. She said bringing him to her hometown was her way of giving something back.
She told the Comet: “It is so important for the next generation of musicians to have an experience like this, a memory of a lifetime, in a time where talent is portrayed in the mainstream media as a quick fix to stardom.
“Young people observed how investing time in your skills now can have profound results.”
You may also want to watch:
Omar, who had performed at Ronnie Scott’s Jazz Club in Soho the night before, happily signed copies of his latest album Best Foot Forward for the young musicians.
The visit made a keen impression on the youngsters. Gary Powell said his eight-year-old daughter Matilda had insisted it was the best day of her life.
- 1 Teenager charged with assisting offenders after Stevenage man's death
- 2 GP surgery outstrips mass vaccination centre's COVID-19 jab rate
- 3 Stevenage road closed after crash
- 4 We must 'learn to live with COVID' as county takes first steps towards end of lockdown
- 5 Special report: An insight into dog theft in Hertfordshire
- 6 Free trees to be offered to North Herts residents for 'urban forest' plans
- 7 Petition call over council's 'costly bulky waste collection service that encourages fly-tipping'
- 8 Police station evacuated after explosive device handed in
- 9 Have your say on what's next for North Herts Sanctuary building
- 10 Council leader reacts to recent stabbings in Stevenage
He said: “I was watching her closely during the time there and she hardly took her eyes off him.
“It was amazing – what a fantastic guy Omar is. Genuine, warm and truly inspirational. An unforgettable day.”
To find out more about Hitchin Violin School or to get involved in future projects, get in touch with Caroline at carolineviolinist.com.