Coming soon... Cinema goes dark for the summer as work to create new theatre at Letchworth landmark enters crucial phase
- Credit: Archant
Letchworth’s Broadway Cinema will close for two months from tomorrow, Monday, while a new theatre space and bar are built.
The work, set to go on until late this year, will see new dressing rooms and a stage added into Screen One so it can be used for both cinema and theatre.
And when the Art Deco cinema reopens on July 23, visitors will also see renovations to the foyer, concessions and toilets.
“It’s quite a significant moment in the story of the cinema,” said Julia Hallawell from the Letchworth Garden City Heritage Foundation.
“People will really notice a huge transformation. The new foyer will be beautiful.”
You may also want to watch:
In the meantime, the foundation will be bringing theatre to the town as part of next month’s Letchworth Festival, including Shakespeare’s A Midsummer Night’s Dream at Standalone Farm from June 21 to 24.
For more see letchworth.com/beyondbroadway.
- 1 Major application submitted for 1,500 new homes on land west of Stevenage
- 2 Will loss of free parking cause death of high street?
- 3 Man left seriously injured after motorcycle crash
- 4 Bringing home the bacon: Martyn's joy at Radio 1 rasher fame
- 5 Venue loss forces lifeline community group to close
- 6 Baby boutique born in lockdown welcomes first customers
- 7 Arson attack causes thousands of pounds worth of damage to rural Herts pub
- 8 Decision for development off Letchworth country lane deferred
- 9 Plan to transform Baldock pub in to block of six flats is approved
- 10 Is the era of face-to-face GP appointments over in Hertfordshire?