Coming soon... Cinema goes dark for the summer as work to create new theatre at Letchworth landmark enters crucial phase
- Credit: Archant
Letchworth’s Broadway Cinema will close for two months from tomorrow, Monday, while a new theatre space and bar are built.
The work, set to go on until late this year, will see new dressing rooms and a stage added into Screen One so it can be used for both cinema and theatre.
And when the Art Deco cinema reopens on July 23, visitors will also see renovations to the foyer, concessions and toilets.
“It’s quite a significant moment in the story of the cinema,” said Julia Hallawell from the Letchworth Garden City Heritage Foundation.
“People will really notice a huge transformation. The new foyer will be beautiful.”
You may also want to watch:
In the meantime, the foundation will be bringing theatre to the town as part of next month’s Letchworth Festival, including Shakespeare’s A Midsummer Night’s Dream at Standalone Farm from June 21 to 24.
For more see letchworth.com/beyondbroadway.
- 1 Regeneration plans submitted to 'breathe new life' into Stevenage retail park
- 2 Video of woman spewing racial hate in Hitchin goes viral
- 3 Man suffers head injury after fall from moving car
- 4 Stevenage teen sentenced after sexually abusing young boys
- 5 Proposed 5G mast labelled 'monstrosity' by objecting residents and councillors
- 6 Bomb squad attends residential street in Letchworth
- 7 Surprise care home inspection finds residents at risk
- 8 Demolition work begins on former Matalan site to make way for flats
- 9 Train services resume after earlier disruption at Royston
- 10 Lasting tribute to schoolgirl after tragic death