Coming soon... Cinema goes dark for the summer as work to create new theatre at Letchworth landmark enters crucial phase
- Credit: Archant
Letchworth’s Broadway Cinema will close for two months from tomorrow, Monday, while a new theatre space and bar are built.
The work, set to go on until late this year, will see new dressing rooms and a stage added into Screen One so it can be used for both cinema and theatre.
And when the Art Deco cinema reopens on July 23, visitors will also see renovations to the foyer, concessions and toilets.
“It’s quite a significant moment in the story of the cinema,” said Julia Hallawell from the Letchworth Garden City Heritage Foundation.
“People will really notice a huge transformation. The new foyer will be beautiful.”
In the meantime, the foundation will be bringing theatre to the town as part of next month’s Letchworth Festival, including Shakespeare’s A Midsummer Night’s Dream at Standalone Farm from June 21 to 24.
For more see letchworth.com/beyondbroadway.
- 1 Men sentenced after guns and class A drugs uncovered at Ickleford property
- 2 Stevenage Pizza Hut closure prompts Nando's plans
- 3 Woman on trial over bottles smashed in Aldi store
- 4 High winds stop Stevenage Christmas lights switch-on event
- 5 Stevenage MP earns over £4,000 per month from other jobs
- 6 Missing Letchworth woman found safe and well
- 7 Walk-in and booster vaccine slots available this week
- 8 Come on feel the noise: Tisdale excited to experience a first Stevenage home game
- 9 All under 40s to be offered Covid booster jab
- 10 James Bay announces intimate ‘New Songs New Stories’ solo tour for Independent Venue Week