Stevenage showcase gives a snapshot into Hertfordshire carers’ lives
- Credit: Archant
A group of unpaid carers who enjoy photography are exhibiting their pictures and a snapshot into their lives as part of Carers in Hertfordshire’s Carers’ Week celebrations.
Members of the Carers in Hertfordshire’s Camera Club will be displaying 31 of their pictures in a free exhibition at the Gordon Craig Theatre in Stevenage from Tuesday, June 5, until Wednesday, June 20.
The exhibition is titled ‘Insights to...’ and some of the pictures are related to a reflection on the exhibitor’s life as a carer – the challenges they face or what it means to them. Other pictures have been chosen as they are favourites or showcase the carers’ interests, creativity and talents.
Eight individuals will have their work on display including Paulette, from Stevenage, who has cared for various family members on and off for 38 years. Paulette said: “I’m delighted to be involved with the exhibition, it has helped relieve some of my stress as it’s something to look forward to. I love photography and enjoy going to the camera club each month. The club has given me friendships, a break from caring and I can learn from the other talented carers.”
Club member Ron said: “I’m excited, if a little nervous, at the prospect of having some of my images displayed. I hope I can play a part in making the exhibition a success and that it helps others appreciate the role we play and the beneficial effect of having a supportive and like-minded group of friends.”
Tim Napper – the charity’s finance and support services manager, who has helped the carers plan the exhibition – added: “We know carers value time out from caring to enjoy their interests. The club have worked hard getting the exhibition together and there are some fantastic pictures. If you have the chance, please go and see it.”
The camera club was set up by carers in 2011 following some digital photography courses organised by Carers in Hertfordshire, a countywide charity that provides advice and support to people in Hertfordshire caring for someone who is elderly, disabled, ill or who misuses drugs or alcohol.
- 1 Range Rover stopped towing ‘insecure trailer’ on A1(M) in Stevenage
- 2 'Jobs will be lost' if Stevenage TK Maxx fails to relocate
- 3 Police called to concern for welfare after 'youths' seen on Stevenage roof
- 4 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
- 5 Man wanted in connection with police officer assault could be in Hitchin
- 6 Plans to demolish riding stables to make way for housing
- 7 Lloyds Bank in Letchworth to shut as closures announced across the UK
- 8 7 great places to get a bottomless brunch in Hertfordshire
- 9 Former pub owner admits to food hygiene offences
- 10 Crackdown on anti-social behaviour in Letchworth and Baldock
New members are welcome whatever your level of skill, with a meeting each month at a café in Welwyn Garden City. To join or learn more about the charity call 01992 586969, email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit carersinherts.org.uk.