Burly Bob is Blessed to be filling Sir Toby’s big shoes in Stevenage tonight
- Credit: Archant
Burly Bob Sage is no stranger to the role of Sir Toby Belch, the bumptious boozehound who is one of Shakespeare’s most popular comic characters.
Veteran member Bob played the part when Stevenage’s Lytton Players staged the Bard’s famous romantic comedy Twelfth Night back in 1993, and he’s pulling on Sir Toby’s doublet and hose again this week.
For that production more than 20 years ago, costumes were rented from the wardrobe department of the prestigious Royal Shakespeare Company.
The outfit Bob ended up wearing – which had actually been made for another comic favourite, Falstaff – came complete with the nametag Brian Blessed, as an indication of the sort of personality you need to pull off the part.
Personality plays a part, but in 1993 Bob needed the benefit of a padded undersuit to fill out the clothes – and ruefully admits that he won’t need that help this time around. The curtain goes up at the company’s Vardon Road base tonight, Wednesday, and there are performances each evening until Saturday, starting at 7.45pm.
You can watch interviews with cast members and rehearsal footage and hear some of the music which will feature in the show by following the links on the group’s www.lyttonplayers.co.uk, where you can also book tickets.
You may also want to watch:
You can also call the box office on 01438 357407.
- 1 Closure order for Hitchin bungalow following anti-social behaviour
- 2 Demolition work begins on former Matalan site to make way for flats
- 3 Why grass in Stevenage and North Herts public areas isn't cut
- 4 Some bus services set to change to 'build on great network'
- 5 Surprise care home inspection finds residents at risk
- 6 New mental health unit earmarked for Stevenage
- 7 'Music legends' Aswad impress at LGC Live event in town centre
- 8 A family affair and club history make it a special day for Letchworth
- 9 Two people taken to hospital with serious injuries after Clothall Road crash
- 10 From Doctor Foster to Midsomer Murders... North Herts on screen in these BritBox series