Brandenburg and Bach combine for Stevenage church date this weekend
- Credit: Archant
The renowned Brandenburg Sinfonia will be joining forces with the Stevenage Choral Society for a passionate demonstration of the genius of Bach.
The society’s spring choral concert will see the composer’s renowned St John Passion filling the church of St Michael & St George in the town centre on the evening of Saturday.
The choir’s chair Jan Burnell said: “This wonderful dramatic work takes us through the whole passion of Christ with spectacular crowd choruses, intensely moving arias and deeply moving chorales, reflecting on the true meaning of the story.”
The work was first performed in Leipzig in 1724, led by the composer himself.
For the Stevenage concert the singers will be led by regular conductor Robin Osterley, who said: “It’s the most exciting piece I’ve conducted for a long while, the audience is in for a treat!”
You may also want to watch:
Soloists will be Andrew Dickinson, Paul Putnins, Rob Gildon and Sarah Brown.
Tickets for the concert, which starts at 7.30 pm at the St George’s Way church, are £10 in advance and £12 on the door with U16s admitted for just £5.
- 1 Body found in search for missing woman
- 2 Primary schools hit back after ex-Ofsted head says teachers should be prepared to 'sacrifice their lives'
- 3 Movies announced for drive-in cinema's return to Knebworth
- 4 Good Samaritan becomes victim of attempted robbery in Stevenage
- 5 Person hit by train between London Kings Cross and Stevenage
- 6 Person dies after being hit by train near Welwyn Garden City railway station
- 7 Town's multi-million pound investment is 'once in a generation' opportunity
- 8 CCTV appeal after fraud incident in Stevenage
- 9 More than £250,000 funding agreed for new Stevenage school
The society, founded in 1950, welcomes singers of all voices but the focus is on classical music and an ability to follow a musical score is helpful. Members meet each week from 7.30pm to 9.45pm at the Nobel School in Mobbsbury Way – visit www.stevenagechoral.org.uk to find out more.