Brandenburg and Bach combine for Stevenage church date this weekend
- Credit: Archant
The renowned Brandenburg Sinfonia will be joining forces with the Stevenage Choral Society for a passionate demonstration of the genius of Bach.
The society’s spring choral concert will see the composer’s renowned St John Passion filling the church of St Michael & St George in the town centre on the evening of Saturday.
The choir’s chair Jan Burnell said: “This wonderful dramatic work takes us through the whole passion of Christ with spectacular crowd choruses, intensely moving arias and deeply moving chorales, reflecting on the true meaning of the story.”
The work was first performed in Leipzig in 1724, led by the composer himself.
For the Stevenage concert the singers will be led by regular conductor Robin Osterley, who said: “It’s the most exciting piece I’ve conducted for a long while, the audience is in for a treat!”
You may also want to watch:
Soloists will be Andrew Dickinson, Paul Putnins, Rob Gildon and Sarah Brown.
Tickets for the concert, which starts at 7.30 pm at the St George’s Way church, are £10 in advance and £12 on the door with U16s admitted for just £5.
- 1 Surprise care home inspection finds residents at risk
- 2 Proposed 5G mast labelled 'monstrosity' by objecting residents and councillors
- 3 Closure order for Hitchin bungalow following anti-social behaviour
- 4 Demolition work begins on former Matalan site to make way for flats
- 5 Bomb squad attends residential street in Letchworth
- 6 Stevenage teen sentenced after sexually abusing young boys
- 7 Regeneration plans submitted to 'breathe new life' into Stevenage retail park
- 8 Man suffers head injury after fall from moving car
- 9 Train services resume after earlier disruption at Royston
- 10 Video of woman spewing racial hate in Hitchin goes viral
The society, founded in 1950, welcomes singers of all voices but the focus is on classical music and an ability to follow a musical score is helpful. Members meet each week from 7.30pm to 9.45pm at the Nobel School in Mobbsbury Way – visit www.stevenagechoral.org.uk to find out more.