Big Band music swings by Hitchin theatre
- Credit: Archant
A night of vintage swing music is coming to Hitchin this week.
From London’s Leicester Square Theatre, Five Star Swing are returning to Queen Mother Theatre in Hitchin, Hertfordshire, on Thursday, May 25 with ‘The Big Band’.
This is an evening of vintage swing, featuring classic songs from Frank Sinatra, Ella Fitzgerald, Glenn Miller and many more.
The show also features Shirley Bassey’s and Tony Bennett’s trombonist Mike Innes.
Saxophonist and vocalist Simone Smith will be swinging along with songs she has previously performed with the famous Ivy Benson Orchestra and the Squadronaires band.
You may also want to watch:
Simone said: “Fans have enjoyed this ‘feel-good’ style of music for generations.
“Following our extensive UK tour, I’m excited to be bringing the band back home!”
- 1 GP surgery outstrips mass vaccination centre's COVID-19 jab rate
- 2 £10,000 fine handed to organisers of remembrance service that saw 150 attendees
- 3 Family call on government to lower age of bowel cancer screenings after mum's death
- 4 Teenager charged with assisting offenders after Stevenage man's death
- 5 Special report: An insight into dog theft in Hertfordshire
- 6 Council leader reacts to recent stabbings in Stevenage
- 7 Free trees to be offered to North Herts residents for 'urban forest' plans
- 8 Stevenage road closed after crash
- 9 What to expect with pupils heading back to the classroom
- 10 Family shares heartfelt tribute to 'wonderful son and father' Christopher
As seen on BBC TV’s Children in Need and Dame Vera Lynn’s Charity Ball, the band of multi-instrumentalists and singers is led by band leader Chris Smith, composer and arranger for the BBC Radio Big Band and a former composer for Herb Miller Big Band.
Tickets cost £14 adult and £13 concessions, and doors are at 7.30pm.
• Call the box office on 01462 455166 or visit the Queen Mother Theatre website at www.qmt.org.uk