Big Band music swings by Hitchin theatre
- Credit: Archant
A night of vintage swing music is coming to Hitchin this week.
From London’s Leicester Square Theatre, Five Star Swing are returning to Queen Mother Theatre in Hitchin, Hertfordshire, on Thursday, May 25 with ‘The Big Band’.
This is an evening of vintage swing, featuring classic songs from Frank Sinatra, Ella Fitzgerald, Glenn Miller and many more.
The show also features Shirley Bassey’s and Tony Bennett’s trombonist Mike Innes.
Saxophonist and vocalist Simone Smith will be swinging along with songs she has previously performed with the famous Ivy Benson Orchestra and the Squadronaires band.
You may also want to watch:
Simone said: “Fans have enjoyed this ‘feel-good’ style of music for generations.
“Following our extensive UK tour, I’m excited to be bringing the band back home!”
- 1 Letchworth BID responds after manager unexpectedly jailed
- 2 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 3 Stevenage unveil Amazon's Prime Gaming as new sponsors on new kit
- 4 Christopher Hewett: Teenage boys found guilty of murder and manslaughter
- 5 Walk-in vaccine slots available this week
- 6 Police hunt 36-year-old wanted for harassment and restraining order breaches
- 7 How many people in our area have been 'pinged' by NHS COVID app?
- 8 Tributes after Stevenage Forum co-founder dies
- 9 Did you know St Trinian's school was once in north Hertfordshire?
- 10 Tributes to Poppy Appeal stalwart and 'true gentleman' Les Mortimer
As seen on BBC TV’s Children in Need and Dame Vera Lynn’s Charity Ball, the band of multi-instrumentalists and singers is led by band leader Chris Smith, composer and arranger for the BBC Radio Big Band and a former composer for Herb Miller Big Band.
Tickets cost £14 adult and £13 concessions, and doors are at 7.30pm.
• Call the box office on 01462 455166 or visit the Queen Mother Theatre website at www.qmt.org.uk