Big Band music swings by Hitchin theatre
- Credit: Archant
A night of vintage swing music is coming to Hitchin this week.
From London’s Leicester Square Theatre, Five Star Swing are returning to Queen Mother Theatre in Hitchin, Hertfordshire, on Thursday, May 25 with ‘The Big Band’.
This is an evening of vintage swing, featuring classic songs from Frank Sinatra, Ella Fitzgerald, Glenn Miller and many more.
The show also features Shirley Bassey’s and Tony Bennett’s trombonist Mike Innes.
Saxophonist and vocalist Simone Smith will be swinging along with songs she has previously performed with the famous Ivy Benson Orchestra and the Squadronaires band.
Simone said: “Fans have enjoyed this ‘feel-good’ style of music for generations.
“Following our extensive UK tour, I’m excited to be bringing the band back home!”
- 1 Plans to demolish riding stables to make way for housing
- 2 Stevenage woman arrested following 'dangerous driving and assault'
- 3 Former pub owner admits to food hygiene offences
- 4 Plans to demolish two houses and build 20 flats in their place
- 5 Driver hospitalised with ‘serious injuries’ following crash in Hitchin
- 6 Parents' anger as possible school redundancies loom amid academy transition
- 7 Stalking Protection Order issued to Herts man after obsessive behaviour towards ex
- 8 Vauxhall flips onto roof in crash with Mercedes in Letchworth
- 9 Recap: Severe disruption on Great Northern and Thameslink trains to London
- 10 Man in his 80s seriously injured after Honda crash in Stevenage
As seen on BBC TV’s Children in Need and Dame Vera Lynn’s Charity Ball, the band of multi-instrumentalists and singers is led by band leader Chris Smith, composer and arranger for the BBC Radio Big Band and a former composer for Herb Miller Big Band.
Tickets cost £14 adult and £13 concessions, and doors are at 7.30pm.
• Call the box office on 01462 455166 or visit the Queen Mother Theatre website at www.qmt.org.uk