Beats ’n’ pieces
THE Hop is celebrating 50 years of music and five bands, well known at the time, have reunited to perform all of their 60 s numbers at a one-off charity event. The event, taking place at the Woodhall Community Centre in Welwyn Garden City on June 16, cele
THE Hop is celebrating 50 years of music and five bands, well known at the time, have reunited to perform all of their 60's numbers at a one-off charity event.
The event, taking place at the Woodhall Community Centre in Welwyn Garden City on June 16, celebrates the anniversary of a night that saw a youthful Rob Stewart, David Bowie, John Mayall and Eric Capton take to the stage.
Mick Taylor, of Rolling Stones fame, was even discovered at the Hop when he stood in for an absent Eric Clapton!
* ENGLISH guitar pop doesn't come much better than in the form of The Maccabees. They were championed by BBC radio 1, received airtime on MTV2 and the video was an internet hit on YouTube.
You may also want to watch:
Mid 2006 NME reviewed their show at Café de Paris and dubbed them "The best new band in Britain."
Catch them at The Junction on April 29 or check out www.myspace.com.themaccabees.
- 1 Woman named after pleading guilty to fly-tipping offence
- 2 Body found in search for missing woman
- 3 Movies announced for drive-in cinema's return to Knebworth
- 4 Good Samaritan becomes victim of attempted robbery in Stevenage
- 5 Primary schools hit back after ex-Ofsted head says teachers should be prepared to 'sacrifice their lives'
- 6 Government curbs council's powers to block new homes
- 7 See inside this beautiful Edwardian property fit for a multi-millionaire
- 8 Professional artist born out of school lockdown project
- 9 Historic school to close at end of academic year
- 10 Missing Stevenage teen found
* LONDON-based metal band Nothing Gained will be making their first appearance at Club 85, Hitchin, Friday April 27.
Driven by heavy riffs and front woman Emma's impressive vocal range, they'll be playing material from forthcoming album 'Nascent'. Check out http://www.myspace.com/nothinggained
Or, get down to the venue on Friday May 4 and catch one of the biggest unsigned acts in the Uk, the Wombats, who are releasing their new single Backfire that evening.
To buy tickets for the event call or visit Club 85, 01462 434801. Check out www.thewombats.co.uk or www.myspace.com/thewombatsuk