Audio Review: Doctor Who and the Sea Devils
ONE of the most influential writers during the early years of classic Who was Malcolm Hulke, whose contributions to the series brought us groundbreaking stories including The War Games (with Terrance Dicks), Colony in Space, Invasion of the Dinosaurs and Frontier in Space.
In introducing a race of hominid reptiles who had ruled the Earth before mankind in The Silurians, Hulke moved the series away from its ‘sixties black-and-white morality to offer alternative perspectives for the “monsters” encountered by the Doctor.
He returned to these concepts in follow-up story The Sea Devils, which explored an aquatic off-shoot of the Earth Reptiles, who are being used by renegade Time Lord the Master in his plans for global conquest.
Once again the Doctor attempts to facilitate peaceful negotiations between mankind and their sub-sea predecessors, but as in the previous story without success, with the Master’s schemes leading to the destruction of the Sea Devil colony…
You may also want to watch:
One of the highlights of Malcolm Hulke’s novelisations of his TV Who stories is his tendency to expand upon on-screen events with background detail and characterisation, and that tradition is continued here with the latest in AudioGo’s series of Target Books audios, particularly the information surrounding the Master’s (off-screen) trial and how the Doctor prevented his execution.
Geoffrey Beevers, who played the Master in The Keeper of Traken, is a worthwhile stand-in for the late Roger Delgado, his rich and powerful tones perfect for an audiobook reading.
- 1 Lasting tribute to schoolgirl after tragic death
- 2 'A day none of us will forget' - Princess Anne visits Lister Hospital
- 3 Crowds flock to Hitchin for Bucklersbury and Sun Street Day
- 4 'Fight for what is yours' - Alyssa Smith Jewellery's message following High Court win
- 5 Standon Calling called off after heavy rain and lightning risk
- 6 Stevenage happy with performance and result against 10-man Crystal Palace
- 7 Letchworth BID responds after manager unexpectedly jailed
- 8 £50 supermarket vouchers available to help families entitled to free school meals
- 9 Christopher Hewett: Teenage boys found guilty of murder and manslaughter
- 10 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
One of the original batch of novelisations published by Target, The Sea Devils benefits greatly from its expanded page count, mature treatment of some very adult themes, and interesting protagonists. A worthy addition to the library.