Artwork and crafts at Letchworth Arts Centre
ARTWORK and crafts will be on display during two exhibitions in Letchworth GC.
Letchworth Arts Centre hosts Sanaa Mufti’s Boundaries exhibition until November 30, with decorative tiling inspired by Islamic patterns filling the foyer gallery.
A graduate from the University of Hertfordshire with an MA in Applied Arts Practice, Sanaa said: “The need to create and build with my hands, experimenting with form, texture and tactile surfaces, are a few – but major – factors that instinctively drive my work.
“The tiling ornaments I create refer to the infiltration of adornment (pattern) into our everyday lives in the domestic sphere. Touching bases of a distinct body art form known as henna in the West, the current body of work metaphorically puts emphasis on the fraction where the human body also becomes a place that inhabits art.
“The obsessive detail and intricate designs seen in the individual pieces have materialised out of a conscious decision to explore and study the plethora of patterning techniques within the confines of Islamic aniconic; a study that negates portrayal of figures and other animate species in art and architecture.”
You may also want to watch:
The centre in The Arcade will also welcome a wealth of crafts from Monday, for an annual craft fair.
The exhibition, running until December 22, showcases a variety of craftspeople from across the region.
- 1 Man arrested on suspicion of harassment after Stevenage and Preston incidents
- 2 Who is Slove? Spate of Stevenage graffiti prompts police appeal
- 3 Pictured: The first pints, haircuts, swims and more as lockdown restrictions ease
- 4 What can I do and what opens when COVID lockdown rules ease on Monday, April 12?
- 5 Have you seen missing man from Stevenage?
- 6 Stevenage's play areas set to reopen for first time in months
- 7 Inside the breathtaking £2.6million historic house that has its own 'party barn'
- 8 Former Hitchin and Stevenage MP Shirley Williams dies aged 90
- 9 Drive-in cinema arriving at London Luton Airport
- 10 All change at Arlesey Town as chairman John Morrell is replaced by former Premier League striker
Open on Mondays to Fridays from 10am till 5pm and on Saturdays from 10am to 3pm, the exhibition is free to attend.
There is also a late night shopping evening on Thursday, November 24, from 6pm to 8pm.