Arts: Trilogy finale of The Somme Sagas
A DRAMA trilogy centred on World War I will reach its conclusion with a third and final performance starting tonight (Wednesday).
Part of The Somme Sagas, ‘Duty Bound’ follows two previous showings at the Market Theatre over the summer, and promises a thrilling finale.
In May the Hitchin-based theatre presented ‘Spell of the Whistle’, set in France during the final months of World War I, just before the second battle of the Somme.
It told the story of captain Robert Fitz-Matthews (Glyn Doggett) and his internal battle with God and the ghosts of the men who have died following behind him.
With the help of his batman Arthur Woodgate (Owen Guerin), Robert tried to make sense of the horrors of war, and find peace with God.
You may also want to watch:
July saw the second installment with a play entitled ‘Changing Times’, which mirrored events on the continent with action from the same day back in England.
Following Robert’s wife Claudia (Catherine Stacey) and her coincidental meeting with Woodgate’s ex-fianc� (Lindsay Harding), the story unfolds of Claudia’s guilt over being involved with another man.
- 1 Police crack down on street drinking in Stevenage
- 2 Former Premier League footballer vows to help local club after 'awful' fire
- 3 Stevenage welcomes back shoppers as lockdown restrictions ease
- 4 Campaigner calls for council tax refund as littering continues in North Herts
- 5 Man arrested on suspicion of harassment after Stevenage and Preston incidents
- 6 Busy first day for hospice's new children's store in Stevenage
- 7 Raft of measures to help tackle town's litter problem
- 8 April 12: Businesses' joy at emerging from our third and final lockdown
- 9 Have you seen missing man from Stevenage?
- 10 Standalone Farm welcomes families back with host of new activities
Now all four characters come together for the final instalment at Huntingford Hall on December 21, 1918, where their revealed stories force them to make crucial decisions.
If you haven’t seen the previous plays do not fear, as all is explained in the final show.
The Somme Sagas: Duty Bound opens for two weeks from tonight (Wednesday) until Saturday, October 30.
Performances are at 8pm from Wednesday to Friday and 7.30pm on Saturday.
Tickets cost �10 or �8 concessions. To book call 01462 433553 or visit www.markettheatre.co.uk