Arts: Trilogy finale of The Somme Sagas
A DRAMA trilogy centred on World War I will reach its conclusion with a third and final performance starting tonight (Wednesday).
Part of The Somme Sagas, ‘Duty Bound’ follows two previous showings at the Market Theatre over the summer, and promises a thrilling finale.
In May the Hitchin-based theatre presented ‘Spell of the Whistle’, set in France during the final months of World War I, just before the second battle of the Somme.
It told the story of captain Robert Fitz-Matthews (Glyn Doggett) and his internal battle with God and the ghosts of the men who have died following behind him.
With the help of his batman Arthur Woodgate (Owen Guerin), Robert tried to make sense of the horrors of war, and find peace with God.
July saw the second installment with a play entitled ‘Changing Times’, which mirrored events on the continent with action from the same day back in England.
Following Robert’s wife Claudia (Catherine Stacey) and her coincidental meeting with Woodgate’s ex-fianc� (Lindsay Harding), the story unfolds of Claudia’s guilt over being involved with another man.
- 1 Icon building planning appeal quashed after High Court review
- 2 Cat owner given 'best Christmas present' after being reunited with missing Maine Coon five years after disappearance
- 3 Woman pleads guilty to smashing bottles of booze worth £10,000
- 4 Bubble tea emporium opens in Stevenage
- 5 New QEII Urgent Care Centre opening hours set to change
- 6 Men sentenced after guns and class A drugs uncovered at Ickleford property
- 7 College releases statement after medical incident sparks social media rumours
- 8 Met police officer pleads not guilty to 20 charges including seven rapes
- 9 Stevenage Pizza Hut closure prompts Nando's plans
- 10 A taste of what's to come: We look at Tranquil Turtle's menu ahead of opening
Now all four characters come together for the final instalment at Huntingford Hall on December 21, 1918, where their revealed stories force them to make crucial decisions.
If you haven’t seen the previous plays do not fear, as all is explained in the final show.
The Somme Sagas: Duty Bound opens for two weeks from tonight (Wednesday) until Saturday, October 30.
Performances are at 8pm from Wednesday to Friday and 7.30pm on Saturday.
Tickets cost �10 or �8 concessions. To book call 01462 433553 or visit www.markettheatre.co.uk