Arts: Trilogy finale of The Somme Sagas
A DRAMA trilogy centred on World War I will reach its conclusion with a third and final performance starting tonight (Wednesday).
Part of The Somme Sagas, ‘Duty Bound’ follows two previous showings at the Market Theatre over the summer, and promises a thrilling finale.
In May the Hitchin-based theatre presented ‘Spell of the Whistle’, set in France during the final months of World War I, just before the second battle of the Somme.
It told the story of captain Robert Fitz-Matthews (Glyn Doggett) and his internal battle with God and the ghosts of the men who have died following behind him.
With the help of his batman Arthur Woodgate (Owen Guerin), Robert tried to make sense of the horrors of war, and find peace with God.
July saw the second installment with a play entitled ‘Changing Times’, which mirrored events on the continent with action from the same day back in England.
Following Robert’s wife Claudia (Catherine Stacey) and her coincidental meeting with Woodgate’s ex-fianc� (Lindsay Harding), the story unfolds of Claudia’s guilt over being involved with another man.
- 1 Teenager was ‘murdered on way home from prom’ in Stevenage
- 2 Eighteen-year-old arrested on suspicion of murder in Stevenage
- 3 Police cordon in place after man suffers ‘serious injuries’ in Stevenage
- 4 Plans for new Stevenage secondary school raise concerns
- 5 Council confirms first monkeypox case in Hertfordshire
- 6 US star George Clooney spotted directing new film in Hertfordshire
- 7 Cash stolen in Stevenage car break-ins
- 8 Stevenage supermarket may have double-charged customers
- 9 See inside this stunning £1.15m Grade II listed barn conversion
- 10 Faulty lift leaves disabled Stevenage residents forced to climb 12-storey block of flats for six weeks
Now all four characters come together for the final instalment at Huntingford Hall on December 21, 1918, where their revealed stories force them to make crucial decisions.
If you haven’t seen the previous plays do not fear, as all is explained in the final show.
The Somme Sagas: Duty Bound opens for two weeks from tonight (Wednesday) until Saturday, October 30.
Performances are at 8pm from Wednesday to Friday and 7.30pm on Saturday.
Tickets cost �10 or �8 concessions. To book call 01462 433553 or visit www.markettheatre.co.uk