Arcadians say a big hello to Oklahoma! as Rodgers & Hammerstein classic hits Letchworth stage
- Credit: Archant
ASurrey with a fringe on top will be rolling into North Herts next week as Letchworth Arcadians prepare for their next full-scale show.
Their choice is an evergreen musical, Rodgers & Hammerstein’s Oklahoma! – the curtain goes up at the St Christopher School theatre in Barrington Road next Wednesday, June 1, with performances continuing until Saturday, June 4, when there’s also a matinee.
The show is packed with memorable songs including Oh What a Beautiful Mornin’, People Will Say We’re In Love and the rip-roaring title song.
This is one of those great musicals that never fails to delight.
At its centre lies the rocky courtship of Laurey and Curly – Lucy Walker and Simon Latter, pictured right. Gilly MacGilligan is Ado Annie – the ‘girl who can’t say no’ – and her cowboy suitor Will Parker is played by Craig Perry. All four performers started out as members of Young Arcadians.
Also in key roles are Elizabeth Shaw (Aunt Eller), Robert Driver (Ali Hakim), Rodger Newman-Turner (Andrew Carnes) and Clive Dancy (Jud Fry).
The production, featuring a strong cast of 40 performers, is directed by David Walker, with Graham Albone as musical director and Frances Aylin as choreographer.
- 1 Plans to demolish two houses and build 20 flats in their place
- 2 Former pub owner admits to food hygiene offences
- 3 Man in his 80s seriously injured after Honda crash in Stevenage
- 4 Stevenage woman arrested following 'dangerous driving and assault'
- 5 Missing 25-year-old last seen in Coreys Mill Lane found in Stevenage
- 6 Get ready to geek out as a new gaming café comes to Stevenage
- 7 New avenue of trees planted in Hitchin's Bancroft
- 8 Spaceship 'landing' at school grabs Prime Minister's attention
- 9 Foodies queue to try street food sourced, cooked and served in Herts
- 10 Year-long car park closure as construction for new multi-storey set to begin
Tickets (£15, with £13 concessions available for Wednesday evening and Saturday matinee shows) are available on 07511 519387. Find out more online at www.letchworth-arcadians.co.uk.