Arcadians say a big hello to Oklahoma! as Rodgers & Hammerstein classic hits Letchworth stage
- Credit: Archant
ASurrey with a fringe on top will be rolling into North Herts next week as Letchworth Arcadians prepare for their next full-scale show.
Their choice is an evergreen musical, Rodgers & Hammerstein’s Oklahoma! – the curtain goes up at the St Christopher School theatre in Barrington Road next Wednesday, June 1, with performances continuing until Saturday, June 4, when there’s also a matinee.
The show is packed with memorable songs including Oh What a Beautiful Mornin’, People Will Say We’re In Love and the rip-roaring title song.
This is one of those great musicals that never fails to delight.
At its centre lies the rocky courtship of Laurey and Curly – Lucy Walker and Simon Latter, pictured right. Gilly MacGilligan is Ado Annie – the ‘girl who can’t say no’ – and her cowboy suitor Will Parker is played by Craig Perry. All four performers started out as members of Young Arcadians.
Also in key roles are Elizabeth Shaw (Aunt Eller), Robert Driver (Ali Hakim), Rodger Newman-Turner (Andrew Carnes) and Clive Dancy (Jud Fry).
The production, featuring a strong cast of 40 performers, is directed by David Walker, with Graham Albone as musical director and Frances Aylin as choreographer.
- 1 BID releases official statement after cancelling Christmas lights switch-on
- 2 Tranmere Rovers against Stevenage off after Storm Arwen damage
- 3 Yellow warning for snow and wind in Herts as Storm Arwen sweeps in
- 4 Villagers left waiting over an hour in cold for Arriva buses demand better service
- 5 15 adorable rescue pets in Hertfordshire looking for loving new homes this Christmas
- 6 Hertfordshire zoo Paradise Wildlife Park to temporarily close to the public in January
- 7 Hitchin named as happiest place to live in the East of England
- 8 Driver assaulted in racially aggravated attack following car crash
- 9 How Hertfordshire’s coronavirus figures compare to last year's lockdown
- 10 Stevenage Christmas lights switch-on: All you need to know
Tickets (£15, with £13 concessions available for Wednesday evening and Saturday matinee shows) are available on 07511 519387. Find out more online at www.letchworth-arcadians.co.uk.