East meets west as family dance show comes to Hertfordshire libraries
- Credit: Archant
Introduce your children to Indian storytelling with Apple ‘n’ Spice, an original, interactive and multi-cultural dance performance coming to Stevenage, Welwyn Garden City and Hitchin.
This charming new fairytale tells the story of two stepmothers: one from the east and one from the west, the plot thickens as their stories entwine.
Created by professional classical dancer Krishna Zivraj-Nair and featuring virtuosic dance performers, the show is visiting Stevenage, Central, WGC Central and Hitchin libraries – combining contemporary and classical Indian dance with original music and shadow puppetry.
Hitchin mums Sara Crow and Lia Prentaki are the creative producers, and are working together after reconnecting in an antenatal yoga class.
Sara said: “The special thing about Apple ‘n’ Spice is its merging of two cultures within one piece. It combines the Indian classical dance style of Bharatanatyam and the western style of contemporary dance, and merges the western fairytale of Snow White and the eastern ancient story of Ramayana.”
You may also want to watch:
About teaming up with Sara, Lia added: “It is brilliant to be working with someone who gets where I come from and together we have stepped behind Krishna to support this work. Getting culturally diverse work to audiences that might not otherwise access such experiences is what gave us the idea to reach out to libraries.
“This tour is possible because of another wonderful woman, Shirley Everall, audience development officer of libraries and heritage services at Hertfordshire County Council and the generous support of local libraries from their councillors.”
- 1 Stevenage welcomes back shoppers as lockdown restrictions ease
- 2 Former Premier League footballer vows to help local club after 'awful' fire
- 3 Police crack down on street drinking in Stevenage
- 4 Campaigner calls for council tax refund as littering continues in North Herts
- 5 Man arrested on suspicion of harassment after Stevenage and Preston incidents
- 6 Busy first day for hospice's new children's store in Stevenage
- 7 April 12: Businesses' joy at emerging from our third and final lockdown
- 8 Who is Slove? Spate of Stevenage graffiti prompts police appeal
- 9 Standalone Farm welcomes families back with host of new activities
- 10 Have you seen missing man from Stevenage?
The library tour visits Stevenage Central tomorrow (Saturday) from 2pm to 3.15pm, WGC Central from 11am to 12.15pm on Tuesday and Hitchin 4pm to 5.15pm on Saturday, November 3.
Tickets are £3 for children (suitable for 3+) and £5 for adults.
To book visit hertfordshire.gov.uk/services/libraries-and-archives/events-and-things-to-do and search Apple ‘n’ Spice.