East meets west as family dance show comes to Hertfordshire libraries
- Credit: Archant
Introduce your children to Indian storytelling with Apple ‘n’ Spice, an original, interactive and multi-cultural dance performance coming to Stevenage, Welwyn Garden City and Hitchin.
This charming new fairytale tells the story of two stepmothers: one from the east and one from the west, the plot thickens as their stories entwine.
Created by professional classical dancer Krishna Zivraj-Nair and featuring virtuosic dance performers, the show is visiting Stevenage, Central, WGC Central and Hitchin libraries – combining contemporary and classical Indian dance with original music and shadow puppetry.
Hitchin mums Sara Crow and Lia Prentaki are the creative producers, and are working together after reconnecting in an antenatal yoga class.
Sara said: “The special thing about Apple ‘n’ Spice is its merging of two cultures within one piece. It combines the Indian classical dance style of Bharatanatyam and the western style of contemporary dance, and merges the western fairytale of Snow White and the eastern ancient story of Ramayana.”
You may also want to watch:
About teaming up with Sara, Lia added: “It is brilliant to be working with someone who gets where I come from and together we have stepped behind Krishna to support this work. Getting culturally diverse work to audiences that might not otherwise access such experiences is what gave us the idea to reach out to libraries.
“This tour is possible because of another wonderful woman, Shirley Everall, audience development officer of libraries and heritage services at Hertfordshire County Council and the generous support of local libraries from their councillors.”
- 1 Lasting tribute to schoolgirl after tragic death
- 2 'A day none of us will forget' - Princess Anne visits Lister Hospital
- 3 Surprise care home inspection finds residents at risk
- 4 'Fight for what is yours' - Alyssa Smith Jewellery's message following High Court win
- 5 Crowds flock to Hitchin for Bucklersbury and Sun Street Day
- 6 Standon Calling called off after heavy rain and lightning risk
- 7 Officers investigating vehicle interferences urge victims to come forward
- 8 Letchworth BID responds after manager unexpectedly jailed
- 9 Stevenage happy with performance and result against 10-man Crystal Palace
- 10 £50 supermarket vouchers available to help families entitled to free school meals
The library tour visits Stevenage Central tomorrow (Saturday) from 2pm to 3.15pm, WGC Central from 11am to 12.15pm on Tuesday and Hitchin 4pm to 5.15pm on Saturday, November 3.
Tickets are £3 for children (suitable for 3+) and £5 for adults.
To book visit hertfordshire.gov.uk/services/libraries-and-archives/events-and-things-to-do and search Apple ‘n’ Spice.