An American Haunting (15)
TAKE a couple of classy Hollywood veterans and a good old-fashioned ghost story and you should be pretty much on a winner. Donald Sutherland and Sissy Spacek star in An American Haunting, a period horror based on supposedly real events, but despite their
TAKE a couple of classy Hollywood veterans and a good old-fashioned ghost story and you should be pretty much on a winner.
Donald Sutherland and Sissy Spacek star in An American Haunting, a period horror based on supposedly real events, but despite their best efforts, they can't quite overcome a plodding script.
Sutherland and Spacek are a respectable and well-off 19th century Tennessee couple, but after he is accused of usury, their lives are turned upside down by a malicious poltergeist.
The spirit targets their teenage daughter (Rachel Hurd-Wood of Peter Pan fame), giving her severe beatings while her parents remain helpless. The sceptical townsfolk, including the girl's teacher, become involved as the hauntings continue.
You may also want to watch:
The film is well enough made and looks good, with all the ghostly clichés present and correct. There are also one or two set pieces which stand out but the Exorcist-stylings become a bit repetitive over time.
The 'made-you-jump' moments come along at regular intervals but the script and characters are a little underdeveloped to truly grab your interest.
- 1 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 2 Letchworth BID responds after manager unexpectedly jailed
- 3 Christopher Hewett: Teenage boys found guilty of murder and manslaughter
- 4 Police hunt 36-year-old wanted for harassment and restraining order breaches
- 5 Weather warning for rain on the horizon after scorching heatwave
- 6 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in Hertfordshire
- 7 Walk-in vaccine slots available this week
- 8 Tributes to Poppy Appeal stalwart and 'true gentleman' Les Mortimer
- 9 Tributes after Stevenage Forum co-founder dies
- 10 Controversial plan for 600 homes forges ahead
It is, though, at least a horror movie that tries for a bit of psychological depth - it's not just a dumb popcorn shockfest - even if it doesn't quite work.