Albion alumni returning to claim place in the Sun in Hitchin this weekend
- Credit: Archant
They return each year to Hitchin’s Sun Hotel and migrating musicians Chris While and Julie Matthews will be flying by again on Sunday evening.
The Hitchin Folk Club favourites have featured on the award-winning venue’s programme every year since 1996.
Their musical partnership began in 1993 when both were key members of the legendary Albion Band.
In 1997 they left the band to concentrate on their work as a duo which has seen them tour all over the world and build up a devoted fanbase.
Their songs have been covered by a range of artists including Mary Black, Barbara Dickson, Christine Collister and Fairport Convention.
You may also want to watch:
Julie plays guitar, piano, ukulele, bouzouki, mandolin, harmonica and accordion while Chris plays guitar, bodhran, banjo, dulcimer and percussion.
The final session of the month is on Sunday, October 25, when Nancy Kerr and James Fagan head the bill.
- 1 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 2 Letchworth BID responds after manager unexpectedly jailed
- 3 Christopher Hewett: Teenage boys found guilty of murder and manslaughter
- 4 Police hunt 36-year-old wanted for harassment and restraining order breaches
- 5 Weather warning for rain on the horizon after scorching heatwave
- 6 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in Hertfordshire
- 7 Tributes to Poppy Appeal stalwart and 'true gentleman' Les Mortimer
- 8 Walk-in vaccine slots available this week
- 9 Tributes after Stevenage Forum co-founder dies
- 10 How many people in our area have been 'pinged' by NHS COVID app?
The Anglo-Australian duo are multiple award winners, with Nancy – who first performed in Hitchin back in 1994 – taking folk singer of the year honours at this year’s BBC Folk Awards.
They promise melting vocal harmonies and driving instrumentals in what’s billed as another night not to be missed, with support being provided by Zoe Wren. It’s £12 members, £14 non members and doors open at 7.30pm with music from 8.15pm. You can find out the full programme at www.hitchinfolkclub.co.uk.