Albion alumni returning to claim place in the Sun in Hitchin this weekend
- Credit: Archant
They return each year to Hitchin’s Sun Hotel and migrating musicians Chris While and Julie Matthews will be flying by again on Sunday evening.
The Hitchin Folk Club favourites have featured on the award-winning venue’s programme every year since 1996.
Their musical partnership began in 1993 when both were key members of the legendary Albion Band.
In 1997 they left the band to concentrate on their work as a duo which has seen them tour all over the world and build up a devoted fanbase.
Their songs have been covered by a range of artists including Mary Black, Barbara Dickson, Christine Collister and Fairport Convention.
You may also want to watch:
Julie plays guitar, piano, ukulele, bouzouki, mandolin, harmonica and accordion while Chris plays guitar, bodhran, banjo, dulcimer and percussion.
The final session of the month is on Sunday, October 25, when Nancy Kerr and James Fagan head the bill.
- 1 Stevenage's Banksy brings another community mural to town's underpasses
- 2 11-year-old arrested on suspicion of attempted robbery
- 3 Have you seen this wanted man with links to Stevenage?
- 4 Cyclist suffers bruises to face after being punched in assault
- 5 Persistent town centre beggar and thief sentenced
- 6 Major application submitted for 1,500 new homes on land west of Stevenage
- 7 Man jailed after threatening terrified neighbour with rape and arson
- 8 Will loss of free parking cause death of high street?
- 9 Former head boy founds charity in Greece to help refugees
- 10 Free parking in Letchworth town centre to welcome back shoppers
The Anglo-Australian duo are multiple award winners, with Nancy – who first performed in Hitchin back in 1994 – taking folk singer of the year honours at this year’s BBC Folk Awards.
They promise melting vocal harmonies and driving instrumentals in what’s billed as another night not to be missed, with support being provided by Zoe Wren. It’s £12 members, £14 non members and doors open at 7.30pm with music from 8.15pm. You can find out the full programme at www.hitchinfolkclub.co.uk.