Albion alumni returning to claim place in the Sun in Hitchin this weekend
- Credit: Archant
They return each year to Hitchin’s Sun Hotel and migrating musicians Chris While and Julie Matthews will be flying by again on Sunday evening.
The Hitchin Folk Club favourites have featured on the award-winning venue’s programme every year since 1996.
Their musical partnership began in 1993 when both were key members of the legendary Albion Band.
In 1997 they left the band to concentrate on their work as a duo which has seen them tour all over the world and build up a devoted fanbase.
Their songs have been covered by a range of artists including Mary Black, Barbara Dickson, Christine Collister and Fairport Convention.
Julie plays guitar, piano, ukulele, bouzouki, mandolin, harmonica and accordion while Chris plays guitar, bodhran, banjo, dulcimer and percussion.
The final session of the month is on Sunday, October 25, when Nancy Kerr and James Fagan head the bill.
- 1 Men sentenced after guns and class A drugs uncovered at Ickleford property
- 2 Stevenage Pizza Hut closure prompts Nando's plans
- 3 Woman on trial over bottles smashed in Aldi store
- 4 Stevenage MP earns over £4,000 per month from other jobs
- 5 High winds stop Stevenage Christmas lights switch-on event
- 6 Former army major sentenced after pillion rider dies in motorcycle crash
- 7 Missing Letchworth woman found safe and well
- 8 Enter Shikari to play Club 85 gig in Hitchin as part of The National Lottery’s Revive Live Tour
- 9 James Bay announces intimate ‘New Songs New Stories’ solo tour for Independent Venue Week
- 10 Walk-in and booster vaccine slots available this week
The Anglo-Australian duo are multiple award winners, with Nancy – who first performed in Hitchin back in 1994 – taking folk singer of the year honours at this year’s BBC Folk Awards.
They promise melting vocal harmonies and driving instrumentals in what’s billed as another night not to be missed, with support being provided by Zoe Wren. It’s £12 members, £14 non members and doors open at 7.30pm with music from 8.15pm. You can find out the full programme at www.hitchinfolkclub.co.uk.