About Hitchin Thespians
Hitchin Thespians is one of the oldest and largest amateur operatic societies in the country. Founded in 1902 it has over 400 members and patrons. Their thriving, award-winning society, offers members a wide number of opportunities to participate in show
Hitchin Thespians is one of the oldest and largest amateur operatic societies in the country. Founded in 1902 it has over 400 members and patrons.
Their thriving, award-winning society, offers members a wide number of opportunities to participate in shows and concerts.
Each year they present two fully staged musicals at The Gordon Craig Theatre in Stevenage. Thespians have presented some shows that many other societies are wary of. Indeed their bravery has paid off with La Cage Aux Follies and Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, both very challenging shows, winning regional awards.
In addition there are occasionally smaller scale productions of musicals which are performed at the purpose built rehearsal suite, Woodside Hall, or at the Town Hall, Hitchin.
Sometimes groups of members get together and perform concerts and shows with a smaller cast.
In addition to musical theatre activities there is a thriving choir. The variety of music performed by this group is staggering, as one member put it - "from Bach to Bernstein!"
- 1 Stevenage Major Works: Leaseholders sent final bills
- 2 North Herts deputy council leader Paul Clark passes away from COVID-19
- 3 Trust calls out council for causing 'uncertainty and chaos' by disrupting two-tier conversion
- 4 Prince Philip death joke tweets sparks probe as councillor leaves party
- 5 Downing Street: Our MPs' responses to alleged illegal Christmas party
- 6 175-year-old primary school saved after months of uncertainty
- 7 Turkeys for sale on Facebook ruffles feathers
- 8 Tranquil Turtle officially opens with dazzling launch event
- 9 Christmas markets return to Hitchin
- 10 Man charged with multiple burglaries after police chase
There are typically three concerts each year, often performed at Woodside Hall, but sometimes in more surroundings that might suit the performance better such as the lovely parish church of St Mary's in Hitchin.