A wizard show
LOCAL talent will be putting on a performance of The Wizard of Oz at The Gordon Craig Theatre in Stevenage. This musical masterpiece first became a huge hit in 1939 when it was made into a film starring Judy Garland as the intrepid young explorer, Dorothy
LOCAL talent will be putting on a performance of The Wizard of Oz at The Gordon Craig Theatre in Stevenage.
This musical masterpiece first became a huge hit in 1939 when it was made into a film starring Judy Garland as the intrepid young explorer, Dorothy.
Since then generations of children have grown up singing the songs and watching the adventures of Dorothy, Toto, the scarecrow, the tin man and the cowardly lion on their audacious journey to the Emerald City.
This production, written by the Royal Shakespeare Company, returns the story to where it was originally intended to be - on the stage.
The principal performers live in Hertfordshire and will be ably assisted on stage by 34 eight to16-year-olds from Hertfordshire and Bedfordshire, who auditioned with almost 100 other children.
The classic will be performed from April 11 to April 14 and tickets start at £9.
- 1 Plans for new Stevenage secondary school raise concerns
- 2 Cash stolen in Stevenage car break-ins
- 3 Council confirms first monkeypox case in Hertfordshire
- 4 Stevenage supermarket may have double-charged customers
- 5 Steve Evans begins Stevenage revolution with three new signings
- 6 Stevenage's Lister Hospital changes maternity visiting guidance
- 7 Audi driver in his 20s killed in crash with lorry on A507 near Shefford
- 8 Platinum Jubilee: Hertfordshire's royal visits in pictures
- 9 Faulty lift leaves disabled Stevenage residents forced to climb 12-storey block of flats for six weeks
- 10 The history behind two Stevenage public murals - one at Primark - now protected with listed status
* CHILDREN'S TV presenter Dave Benson Phillips - from Playdays, Fun Song Factory and Playhouse Disney - will be coming to the Gordon Craig Theatre.
Dave and Big Bear will be encouraging children to get up, sing songs, join in with the actions and have fun.
The show, aimed at children under six, takes place at 1pm and 3.30pm on April 1.
Tickets are £9 each or £32 for a family of four
* SPIRIT medium Derek Acorah is coming to Stevenage Arts and Leisure Centre on Friday and Saturday, April 6 and 7.
He was the resident medium for Living TV's Most Haunted and now has his own show on Living TV - Derek Acorah's Ghost Towns.
Tickets are £17.50.
For details and tickets for all the above shows, call the box office on 08700 131 030 or log on to www.gordon-craig.co.uk