A WEDDING IN DECEMBER by Anita Shreve
ALMOST 30 years before A Wedding in December opens, Stephen dies in the sea as he parties with his young friends. It is a death that haunts them all but especially his best friend Harrison and the girl he secretly adores, Stephen s girlfriend Nora. It is
ALMOST 30 years before A Wedding in December opens, Stephen dies in the sea as he parties with his young friends. It is a death that haunts them all but especially his best friend Harrison and the girl he secretly adores, Stephen's girlfriend Nora.
It is 26 years before the group all meet again, for the wedding of Bridget and Bill, long-ago lovers who have come back together as Bridget fights cancer.
Their love, the dilemma of Harrison and Nora and the plight of Agnes, the neglected mistress, make up much of the book. Agnes is writing a book of her own, highlighting a vast explosion in Canada, and the effects on the population. Many are blinded and the life of her hero Innes is changed and reduced for ever.
Agnes' story and her parallel between Innes and Harrison echo throughout the book.
Anita Shreve writes with precision, craft and care but I ached for a little more emotion and less restraint.
Thanks to Ottakar's of Stevenage
- 1 Range Rover stopped towing ‘insecure trailer’ on A1(M) in Stevenage
- 2 'Jobs will be lost' if Stevenage TK Maxx fails to relocate
- 3 Police called to concern for welfare after 'youths' seen on Stevenage roof
- 4 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
- 5 Man wanted in connection with police officer assault could be in Hitchin
- 6 Plans to demolish riding stables to make way for housing
- 7 Lloyds Bank in Letchworth to shut as closures announced across the UK
- 8 7 great places to get a bottomless brunch in Hertfordshire
- 9 Former pub owner admits to food hygiene offences
- 10 Crackdown on anti-social behaviour in Letchworth and Baldock