A trio of classical choral concerts in Letchworth and Stevenage
THREE choral concerts will take place this weekend each with headline musicians.
Members of Letchworth Chorale will have soprano and pianist Eleanor Meynell as the soloist for their Chorale Summer Concert on Saturday.
Eleanor has recorded live in both disciplines for BBC Radio 2, Radio 3 and Classic FM, as well as performing at the BBC Proms and singing on film soundtracks for Harry Potter, The Lord of the Rings and Kung Fu Panda.
The concert, at Letchworth Free Church in Norton Way South, will be directed by Kevin McCalman.
Tickets for the 7.30pm show cost �9 or �7 concessions and will be available on the door.
The same venue will host Letchworth Sinfonia’s Summer Concert the following night.
Joining the orchestra on Sunday will be David Fisher, who is the bandmaster for the Letchworth Salvation Army.
- 1 BID releases official statement after cancelling Christmas lights switch-on
- 2 Yellow warning for snow and wind in Herts as Storm Arwen sweeps in
- 3 Villagers left waiting over an hour in cold for Arriva buses demand better service
- 4 15 adorable rescue pets in Hertfordshire looking for loving new homes this Christmas
- 5 Hertfordshire zoo Paradise Wildlife Park to temporarily close to the public in January
- 6 Hitchin named as happiest place to live in the East of England
- 7 Here's what we know so far about the new Covid variant
- 8 How Hertfordshire’s coronavirus figures compare to last year's lockdown
- 9 Councillor wants apology for Nadine Dorries 'misogynist' tweet
- 10 Driver assaulted in racially aggravated attack following car crash
The Letchworth GC resident, who joined the Royal Artillery as a musician at the age of 16, has played in state and sporting events around the world in the Band of the Welsh Guards.
He will be performing the Strauss Oboe Concerto with the orchestra in a programme which also includes Beethoven’s Egmont Overture and Eroica Symphony No 3.
The concert starts at 7.30pm with tickets prices at �10, �8 for concessions and �5 for students on the door or by calling the Letchworth Garden City Tourist Information Centre on 01462 487868 in advance.
For more information visit www.letchworth-sinfonia.org.uk
The weekend concludes on Sunday with Sinfonia Musicisti’s return to the Gordon Craig Theatre in Stevenage.
Following a similar concert at the venue in March, the professional orchestra will once again have Stevenage Borough Council’s executive member for children and young people, culture, sport and leisure Cllr Howard Burrell as the conductor.
Former winner of the British Contemporary Piano Competition pianist Rick Uttley will also be performing in a concert which features Beethoven’s Symphony No 5 and an overture written by Cllr Burrell himself, entitled Festival Overture.
“It is wonderful to have a second opportunity to perform at the Gordon Craig,” said Cllr Burrell, who retired as professor of music at the University of Hertfordshire in 2005.
“We received such a warm welcome in March and very much hope we shall do so again.
“This orchestra is very special in that it is owned by all its members. They have come together because they want to play with each other and the atmosphere and morale is so refreshing and invigorating.”
The concert begins at 7.45pm, with tickets available for �21 and �19, with �2 off available for concessions. To book call the theatre on 01438 363200 or visit www.gordon-craig.co.uk