A real cracker of an evening
WHAT a wonderful performance by The European Ballet, accompanied by children from Karen Graham Dance and Fitness Club, at the Gordon Craig Theatre, Stevenage. Pity it wasn t supported by the community. It was one of the best ballets I have seen. The sto
WHAT a wonderful performance by The European Ballet, accompanied by children from Karen Graham Dance and Fitness Club, at the Gordon Craig Theatre, Stevenage. Pity it wasn't supported by the community. It was one of the best ballets I have seen.
The story of The Nutcracker, music by Tchaikovsky, is based upon the Silberhaus family on Christmas Eve as they greet friends and relatives to their house. Daughter Clara, 15 (Sophie Collas) and Fritz (Anna Watkins) her younger brother are given presents by their godfather, Drosselmeyer (Vincent Cabot). Fritz receives a hobby horse and Clara a wooden Nutcracker doll in the guise of a soldier, she instantly adores it and the children taunt each other with the gifts until her doll is broken. Drosselmeyer manages to restore it and she is happy.
The guests leave and the family retire to bed. Clara slips downstairs as the clock strikes midnight in search of her present, although she is frightened of finding mice. Suddenly she is surrounded by them, including the mouse King (Krill Bolychev). Terrified she tries to escape and as if in a dream her Nutcracker breaks into life and brings toy soldiers and a canon to fight the invaders! Battle ensues until exhausted he falls, Clara gathers him in her arms whereas he awakes as a prince and they dance away into fairyland.
They arrive at his palace in the Kingdom of Sweets where we are treated to some delicious dance before the happy couple celebrate their wedding.
You may also want to watch:
Beautifully choreographed it was a joy to watch, with excellent dancing from all involved.
- 1 Hitchin teenager convicted of raping three young people
- 2 Rapist faces 'considerable custodial sentence' after guilty verdict
- 3 Topping out ceremony marks significant progress to new bus interchange
- 4 Motorcyclist dies after crash near Hitchin
- 5 Tributes paid to Arsenal fan who died of COVID-19 'caught at Euros final'
- 6 Stevenage teen sentenced after sexually abusing young boys
- 7 Herts Council has 'pattern of mishandling children's services complaints'
- 8 Woman suffers facial injuries in pub assault
- 9 Prime Minister Boris Johnson opens Airbus' new £35 million facility
- 10 Submissions open for Hertfordshire charity photography exhibition