A century after the Easter rising, Ireland’s in the spotlight on stage in Stevenage next week
- Credit: Archant
It’s 100 years since one of the key dates in Irish history – the 1916 Easter Rising which led to the nation’s independence from the UK.
And with so many in the Stevenage and North Herts community having Irish roots, there’s a chance to mark that milestone by catching Ireland’s Call, a new musical adaptation of the critically acclaimed show Essence of Ireland.
It’s coming to the Gordon Craig Theatre in Stevenage next Wednesday, March 9, as part of a UK tour.
During the show, young dancers from the local Grant School of Irish Dancing will be performing alongside the main cast.
Inspired by true events and spanning three decades, the musical tells the story of one man’s love for his Irish homeland.
You may also want to watch:
The story follows the journey of strong-headed Sean Dempsey, who at the end of the Second World War leaves behind his childhood sweetheart Cora and his homeland in search of a better life in America. Can their love survive the Atlantic divide? Will Sean be able to resist Ireland’s call? Only fate will tell…
Creative director Ged Graham said: “Everyone has been separated from loved ones and their homes at some point in their lives, so this is a story that people can really engage with and relate to, myself included.”
- 1 Lasting tribute to schoolgirl after tragic death
- 2 'A day none of us will forget' - Princess Anne visits Lister Hospital
- 3 'Fight for what is yours' - Alyssa Smith Jewellery's message following High Court win
- 4 Crowds flock to Hitchin for Bucklersbury and Sun Street Day
- 5 Standon Calling called off after heavy rain and lightning risk
- 6 Stevenage happy with performance and result against 10-man Crystal Palace
- 7 Letchworth BID responds after manager unexpectedly jailed
- 8 £50 supermarket vouchers available to help families entitled to free school meals
- 9 Christopher Hewett: Teenage boys found guilty of murder and manslaughter
- 10 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
Find out more about the show and book tickets online at www.gordon-craig.co.uk.