A century after the Easter rising, Ireland’s in the spotlight on stage in Stevenage next week
- Credit: Archant
It’s 100 years since one of the key dates in Irish history – the 1916 Easter Rising which led to the nation’s independence from the UK.
And with so many in the Stevenage and North Herts community having Irish roots, there’s a chance to mark that milestone by catching Ireland’s Call, a new musical adaptation of the critically acclaimed show Essence of Ireland.
It’s coming to the Gordon Craig Theatre in Stevenage next Wednesday, March 9, as part of a UK tour.
During the show, young dancers from the local Grant School of Irish Dancing will be performing alongside the main cast.
Inspired by true events and spanning three decades, the musical tells the story of one man’s love for his Irish homeland.
You may also want to watch:
The story follows the journey of strong-headed Sean Dempsey, who at the end of the Second World War leaves behind his childhood sweetheart Cora and his homeland in search of a better life in America. Can their love survive the Atlantic divide? Will Sean be able to resist Ireland’s call? Only fate will tell…
Creative director Ged Graham said: “Everyone has been separated from loved ones and their homes at some point in their lives, so this is a story that people can really engage with and relate to, myself included.”
- 1 Man arrested on suspicion of harassment after Stevenage and Preston incidents
- 2 Who is Slove? Spate of Stevenage graffiti prompts police appeal
- 3 Pictured: The first pints, haircuts, swims and more as lockdown restrictions ease
- 4 What can I do and what opens when COVID lockdown rules ease on Monday, April 12?
- 5 Have you seen missing man from Stevenage?
- 6 Stevenage's play areas set to reopen for first time in months
- 7 Inside the breathtaking £2.6million historic house that has its own 'party barn'
- 8 Former Hitchin and Stevenage MP Shirley Williams dies aged 90
- 9 Drive-in cinema arriving at London Luton Airport
- 10 All change at Arlesey Town as chairman John Morrell is replaced by former Premier League striker
Find out more about the show and book tickets online at www.gordon-craig.co.uk.