Inspirational Yuko Gordon at it again with another marathon barrier broken
- Credit: FVS
Confirmation has been received that Fairlands Valley Spartans have a national record holder in their ranks.
Yuko Gordon's run at the Dorney Lake Marathon over Easter shattered the UK masters' mark for a female in the over 70 category.
The previous record, held by Sharon Copley, was a time of three hours 35 minutes 11 seconds, set at London in 2017.
But Gordon's efforts near Windsor, which initially went unnoticed, saw her take over six minutes off it, the new best now 3:29:01.
The 70-year-old though is no stranger to breaking barriers. She was in the field at the first Olympic marathons for women in 1984 as well as running the distance at the inaugural 1983 World Championships in Helsinki.
Her all-time bests include 1:16:02 for the half-marathon in 1985 and 2:38:32 for a marathon in 1987, both set in Hong Kong.
Her 3:19:37 run in the Berlin Marathon in 2019 was a world age-68 record and made her the oldest ever woman to break 3:20 for the marathon.
- 1 Motorcyclist dies after crash near Hitchin
- 2 Hitchin teenager convicted of raping three young people
- 3 Prime Minister Boris Johnson opens Airbus' new £35 million facility
- 4 Woman suffers facial injuries in pub assault
- 5 Two arrests made after serious assault in town centre
- 6 Famous faces: A look at Stevenage's most notable people
- 7 Treble for Codi Lee-Spavins and three points for Stotfold in victory over Letchworth
- 8 Arlesey school recognised with prestigious inclusion award
- 9 Stevenage teen sentenced after sexually abusing young boys
- 10 8 filming locations of Netflix royal drama The Crown in Hertfordshire
She is not the only new record holder at the club though with Jonathan Parr's 15:57 a new club 5K best.