Xmas hangover for the Canaries
Hitchin Town 1 Team Bath 3 NEIL JENSEN reports from Top Field The Christmas period has certainly left a hangover on Hitchin Town and their players. Since hitting the heights at Yate Town just before the festive season, the Canaries have lost that vital sp
Hitchin Town 1 Team Bath 3
NEIL JENSEN reports from Top Field
The Christmas period has certainly left a hangover on Hitchin Town and their players.
Since hitting the heights at Yate Town just before the festive season, the Canaries have lost that vital spark and have suffered two campaign-damaging defeats.
You may also want to watch:
Against Team Bath, Hitchin were second best throughout, and despite taking the lead in the first half, they once more failed to deliver in front of their own fans.
The Canaries have won just one of their last five games at Top Field and if they are to maintain their bid for a play-off place, home form has to improve in the next few weeks.
- 1 Regeneration plans submitted to 'breathe new life' into Stevenage retail park
- 2 Man suffers head injury after fall from moving car
- 3 Stevenage teen sentenced after sexually abusing young boys
- 4 Video of woman spewing racial hate in Hitchin goes viral
- 5 Proposed 5G mast labelled 'monstrosity' by objecting residents and councillors
- 6 Demolition work begins on former Matalan site to make way for flats
- 7 Bomb squad attends residential street in Letchworth
- 8 Train services resume after earlier disruption at Royston
- 9 App launched to promote shopping at local businesses
- 10 The hidden history of Hitchin's disappeared pubs
For much of this game, Hitchin fans could only stand and watch as the visitors dominated.
But Hitchin had a good start, with Rob Miller hitting the crossbar with a volley and then after 18 minutes, they took the lead.
As ever, Chris Dillon was responsible for giving Darren Salton's men the lead. He ran onto a through ball, appeared to lose possession, but recovered to send a low shot past Team Bath goalkeeper Darren Chitty.
Team Bath started to take control with Marc Canham going close with a free-kick and Daniel French clearing off the line from Sean Canham.
It was no surprise when the visitors equalised just before the half-time whistle, Matt Williams scooping the ball home from close range following a corner.
The interval did nothing to change the shape of the game and in the 53rd minute, Matt Taylor headed Team Bath ahead from another corner.
Sean Canham had a good chance to extend Team Bath's lead when his first time effort sailed just over the bar.
It was not until the 90th minute that Team Bath scored again, Neil Saunders shooting into the net after Matt Cooper's effort was parried by Beckwith.
Hitchin failed to test Chitty in the Team Bath goal in the second half.
Canaries: Beckwith, Frater, Ducket, Hammonds (Pendleton 57), Folds, Deeney, Jaggard, Miller, Dillon, Sozzo (Orphanou 84), French (Mills 75).