Whitwell Village end with silverware
The final game of the season in the North Herts Football League saw Whitwell Village lift the Benevolent Shield. The beaten Greg Cup finalists were deserved 6-2 winners over Division One champions Magnum at Hitchin Town last Thursday night. Whitwell got o
The final game of the season in the North Herts Football League saw Whitwell Village lift the Benevolent Shield.
The beaten Greg Cup finalists were deserved 6-2 winners over Division One champions Magnum at Hitchin Town last Thursday night.
Whitwell got off to a dream start when they took the lead after five minutes as a shot from Richard Green caught Magnum keeper Tim Boston unawares from just outside the penalty area.
The game was end-to-end on a difficult pitch and Whitwell went further in front when a long ball found Green who rounded a defender and slotted home from inside the area.
Magnum got back in the game when Sam Gibbs found himself unmarked in the penalty area following a fine move down the right and coolly slotted home.
In the second half play started evenly but then Whitwell took the upper hand. A cross from the left was headed back across goal by Nathan Grinstead for Dean Mullings to score from close range.
- 1 Where you can see the Perseid meteor shower in Hertfordshire
- 2 Funeral of retired Stevenage school teacher hailed 'a legend'
- 3 Parents rally as play café forced to close amid major cost increases
- 4 Magpas Air Ambulance lands in Letchworth amid 'medical emergency'
- 5 Two-storey factory catches fire in Letchworth
- 6 Assault victim left with punctured lung after Hitchin 'scuffle'
- 7 Old Town Live organisers 'overwhelmed by response'
- 8 Hitchin widower's wing walk in wife's memory
- 9 Stevenage fundraising day in memory of much-loved Peter
- 10 Dog owner's grass seed warning after pet paralysed
Whitwell went further in front when Grinstead headed home from close range following a save by the keeper. Following the goal, Magnum keeper Boston received some lengthy treatment.
With Magnum pushing forward, Whitwell were always dangerous on the break and Green completed his hat-trick when he outpaced the defence and slotted home from inside the area.
As both sides made substitutions, it was Whitwell's Jon Harris who completed their scoring from close range.
Magnum had the last word when they were awarded a last minute penalty which was put away by Gibbs.