Whitethorn and Baldock advance in county and national competitions
- Credit: DAVID DAVIES/PA
Whitethorn Bowls Club recorded a fifth win from six in the Men's County League to qualify for the knock-out stages.
The victory over Royston in North Division A takes them into the next stage, starting back at Royston on September 4.
Success there will take them to the county knock-out on September 19 at Garstan.
Baldock meanwhile have won the Hertfordshire final in the National Top Club competition, beating Harpenden by three disciplines to two.
Martin Roberts and Darren Hickin won the pairs while Brian Todd, Steve Budge and Paul Andrews took the honours in the triples.
It left Sam Andrews, Joe Morley, Paul Haskins and Mike Parsons to guide them home as they won the rinks.
Baldock will now play Hendon, the top club in Middlesex, in the next stage.
- 1 A1(M) closed in both directions near Letchworth
- 2 Plans approved for former Stevenage bus station site
- 3 Five teenagers arrested following 'violent disorder' in Stevenage
- 4 Plans for second multi-storey car park at Stevenage's Lister Hospital to help 'better meet demand'
- 5 Three arrested after cannabis, cash and phones seized
- 6 Mental health crisis café to open in Stevenage
- 7 Can you spot your school at Stevenage's Commonwealth Games Day?
- 8 £3k thank you to Lister for pregnant wife's bleed on brain care
- 9 Lights stolen in Baldock burglary
- 10 North Herts Sanctuary announces plans to continue support amid service changes
Elsewhere Jamie Claydon qualified for the national mixed fours with Devon Cooper and Matt Coppin from Royston and Joan Welch from Riverain.