Webby’s wonders in finals
Riverain came up trumps in three of the men s area zone finals at Cheshunt Bowls Club. The men s triples with the rink of Mick Allen, Martin Brackley and skip Tony Webb beat a triples team from Herts Watford by 11 shots (23-12). And the second match was t
Riverain came up trumps in three of the men's area zone finals at Cheshunt Bowls Club.
The men's triples with the rink of Mick Allen, Martin Brackley and skip Tony Webb beat a triples team from Herts Watford by 11 shots (23-12).
And the second match was the rinks, which was an all Riverain final between Mick Allen, Martin Brackley, Darren Hickin and skip Tony Webb against Matt Coppen, Bob Ashby, Roger Davis and skip Mick O'flanagan.
Once again Webb's team won by eight shots (25-17).
You may also want to watch:
Webb also won the singles against Gary Fountain from Luton by nine shots (21-12).
This takes them all into the national indoor championships at Nottingham in April.
- 1 Shop employee shaken after knifepoint robbery
- 2 New app allows passengers to order bus to virtual stops
- 3 Calls for extra hands to help uncover history-defining Roman bathhouse
- 4 Stevenage Charter Fair returns to town next week
- 5 Arsonist jailed for 10 years after setting 'terrifying' house fire
- 6 Boy, 13, subjected to distressing indecent exposure at leisure centre
- 7 Consultation opens on plans for 200 flats on Office Outlet site
- 8 Wellbeing gardens opened at Lister in memory of much-loved colleague Marilyn
- 9 No positives for Revell as Boro meekly surrender to Forest Green Rovers
- 10 Arrest made after man in his 40s dies in A505 crash tragedy
Riverain also won by 16 shots (130-114) in a weekday friendly match at the club against Beds Civil Service. The highest winning rink for Riverain was Andrew Greenall's rink which won by 19 shots (29-10).
Skips only: Wally Chandler won 23-18, Bert Saich lost 11-35, Andrew Greenall won 29-10, David Webb won 20-14, Ivan Izzard won 25-17, Ron Lock won 22-20.
But Riverain lost by 40 shots (151-191) to Letchworth and District in a weekend friendly match held at the club.
Skips only: Sam Skinner 12 lost to L Parsley 27, Paul Bennett 19 beat C Males 17, Paul Bryant 19 lost to K Lamacraft 26, Dave Webb 17 lost to N Houghton 25, Jean Hayward 24 drew with D Wright 24, Peter Barritt 11 lost to C Cole 30, Ron Lock 22 beat P Turner 17, Ron Clark 18 lost to P Andrews 25.
Riverain held a charity gala match on Sunday which raised £580 in aid of the Keech Cottage Children's Hospice.
# There was a sting in the tail for the Stevenage Leisure Centre IBC bowlers.
Played on six rinks, it appeared the game at Luton was going to be a win for Stevenage until the last two ends when the opposing skips pulled out all the stops.
This resulted in an eventual defeat by 12 shots (105-117).
They won on two rinks and lost on four and their highest rink was that of Muriel Cooper, John Noakes, David Wright and skip Cyril Lamacraft.