We are sailing!
Great Britain s youth sailing team – featuring brothers from Ashwell – topped the podium at the Australia Youth Olympic Festival after decisively winning a gold medal. Tim and Ben Saxton along with Kate Macgregor from Poole, Imogen Stanley from Oxford, Th
Great Britain's youth sailing team - featuring brothers from Ashwell - topped the podium at the Australia Youth Olympic Festival after decisively winning a gold medal.
Tim and Ben Saxton along with Kate Macgregor from Poole, Imogen Stanley from Oxford, Thame's Claire Lasko and Poole's Matthew Rainback had five days training at the venue - the same used for the Sydney 2000 Olympic Games - before the three-day sailing competition started on Thursday.
The British sailors started the event on a strong footing, finishing day one tied for first place.
Day two brought strong winds and several broken boats with Great Britain falling out of the top slot and into second place.
You may also want to watch:
The final day of racing proved to be Great Britain's finest and with a best-of-five format the Brits only took four races to out-sail Western Australia, enough to secure first.
- 1 Shop employee shaken after knifepoint robbery
- 2 New app allows passengers to order bus to virtual stops
- 3 Calls for extra hands to help uncover history-defining Roman bathhouse
- 4 Stevenage Charter Fair returns to town next week
- 5 Arsonist jailed for 10 years after setting 'terrifying' house fire
- 6 Boy, 13, subjected to distressing indecent exposure at leisure centre
- 7 No positives for Revell as Boro meekly surrender to Forest Green Rovers
- 8 Consultation opens on plans for 200 flats on Office Outlet site
- 9 Wellbeing gardens opened at Lister in memory of much-loved colleague Marilyn
- 10 Arrest made after man in his 40s dies in A505 crash tragedy