Wardle and Harbon retain Hitchin 5K titles
- Credit: Archant
The Hitchin Town Centre 5K race, hosted by Hitchin Running Club, took place on Sunday with a record turnout of 288 runners.
The race was started by Hitchin Town Centre manager Keith Hoskins MBE, and many people who took part were running for charity.
The race winner was North Herts Road Runners’ Dave Wardle, who defended his title with a winning time of 15 minutes 39 seconds.
Mark Vaughan was second male home and second overall with 16:58 and in third place was Andrew Patterson who was just two seconds behind Vaughan in a sprint finish down Bucklersbury.
The first lady home was Katie Harbon who, like Wardle, defended the title she won last year.
You may also want to watch:
This time the North Herts Road Runner athlete won in 19:27 and was 23rd overall.
Second lady home was Hitchin Running Club’s very own Frances Laing, in a time of 20:19 for 29th overall, while third was Frances’ mum, and fellow club-mate, Jo in 20:44 for 33rd overall.
- 1 Plans for new block of flats on Matalan site gets green light
- 2 Dangerous rogue gas fitter handed suspended prison sentence
- 3 'Please just give us the COVID-19 vaccine,' pleads headteacher as schools reopen
- 4 Staff member left shaken after attempted armed robbery at village store
- 5 Boxing promoter Frank Warren praises Stevenage's Lister Hospital staff after COVID-19 battle
- 6 Body found in search for missing woman
- 7 International Women's Day: A homage to those who have inspired us this year
- 8 Woman named after pleading guilty to fly-tipping offence
- 9 Stevenage FC provides new location for Feed Up Warm Up drop-in
- 10 Missing Stevenage teen found
A full list of results can be found at www.racesonline.uk/results/hitchin-5k-2016/
Race director Jake Amos paid tribute to the runners and volunteers for helping to create such a fun and enjoyable occasion and also to the people of Hitchin for coming out to support the event.
The race will be back next year with more additions on the day, alongside some returning favourites such as the Hitchin Relay Race and the hotly anticipated Hitchin Triathlon.
For more information about Hitchin Running Club visit www.hitchinrunningclub.co.uk