Video: Victoria strikes Olympic gold
CYCLIST Victoria Pendleton has won gold in Beijing. The 27-year-old from Stotfold beat Australia s Anna Meares in the final to become Olympic sprint champion at lunchtime today (Tuesday). She emphatically won the first two of a best of three races to ta
CYCLIST Victoria Pendleton has won gold in Beijing.
The 27-year-old from Stotfold beat Australia's Anna Meares in the final to become Olympic sprint champion at lunchtime today (Tuesday).
She emphatically won the first two of a best of three races to take the gold medal, adding to her world and Commonwealth titles.
She told BBC Sport: "It hasn't sunk in yet. After the success of the team is it too much to ask if I don't get a medal? I'm so glad I'm part of it now."
You may also want to watch:
Her father, Max, and sister, Nicola, cracked open the bubbly with workmates after watching the races at GEM estate management in Letchworth GC.
Max said: "It's pretty damn special, especially after Athens when she felt she'd really failed in a big way. She's a whole different person now. The success of the whole team is staggering.
- 1 Woman suffers facial injuries in pub assault
- 2 Prime Minister Boris Johnson opens Airbus' new £35 million facility
- 3 Two arrests made after serious assault in town centre
- 4 Our town in pictures: A journey through Stevenage's past and present
- 5 Famous faces: A look at Stevenage's most notable people
- 6 Stevenage through and through - nine generations of family see town transformed
- 7 Stevenage teen sentenced after sexually abusing young boys
- 8 Community rallies together to clean up church after 'mindless' vandalism
- 9 Brett Donnelly happy with squad building as Stotfold aim for promotion goal
- 10 Floats, fun and fancy dress: Do you remember Stevenage Carnival?
"She just phoned up, she said it just doesn't seem real and she was almost in tears.
"I'm not sure when we'll see her but she'll be one of the athletes at the closing ceremony to take the flag for 2012."