Video: Victoria strikes Olympic gold
CYCLIST Victoria Pendleton has won gold in Beijing. The 27-year-old from Stotfold beat Australia s Anna Meares in the final to become Olympic sprint champion at lunchtime today (Tuesday). She emphatically won the first two of a best of three races to ta
CYCLIST Victoria Pendleton has won gold in Beijing.
The 27-year-old from Stotfold beat Australia's Anna Meares in the final to become Olympic sprint champion at lunchtime today (Tuesday).
She emphatically won the first two of a best of three races to take the gold medal, adding to her world and Commonwealth titles.
She told BBC Sport: "It hasn't sunk in yet. After the success of the team is it too much to ask if I don't get a medal? I'm so glad I'm part of it now."
Her father, Max, and sister, Nicola, cracked open the bubbly with workmates after watching the races at GEM estate management in Letchworth GC.
Max said: "It's pretty damn special, especially after Athens when she felt she'd really failed in a big way. She's a whole different person now. The success of the whole team is staggering.
- 1 Stevenage Major Works: Leaseholders sent final bills
- 2 North Herts deputy council leader Paul Clark passes away from COVID-19
- 3 Trust calls out council for causing 'uncertainty and chaos' by disrupting two-tier conversion
- 4 Prince Philip death joke tweets sparks probe as councillor leaves party
- 5 Downing Street: Our MPs' responses to alleged illegal Christmas party
- 6 175-year-old primary school saved after months of uncertainty
- 7 Turkeys for sale on Facebook ruffles feathers
- 8 Tranquil Turtle officially opens with dazzling launch event
- 9 Man charged with multiple burglaries after police chase
- 10 Christmas markets return to Hitchin
"She just phoned up, she said it just doesn't seem real and she was almost in tears.
"I'm not sure when we'll see her but she'll be one of the athletes at the closing ceremony to take the flag for 2012."