Twins meet tennis star
Anneka and Sophie Watts became the envy of many when they met Russian tennis superstar and object of desire Maria Sharapova in Florida recently. The Letchworth twins, along with other junior players from Letchworth Tennis Club, were taking part in a train
Anneka and Sophie Watts became the envy of many when they met Russian tennis superstar and object of desire Maria Sharapova in Florida recently.
The Letchworth twins, along with other junior players from Letchworth Tennis Club, were taking part in a training camp organised by their coach Steve Shea, Letchworth Tennis Club's head performance coach.
The training camp was held at the Bolletieri Tennis Academy, where many leading professional players practice when not performing on the international circuit.
Aside from spending time with Nick Bolletieri, who has coached many superstars of the game including Andre Agassi, Jim Courier and Michael Chang, the Letchworth players were able to see first hand the intensity with which top players train and improve their art.
* Letchworth Sports and Tennis Club will be holding the Letchworth Racketlon Open on June 21-22.
The event is part of this year's Racketlon British Tour.
- 1 Man threatened woman with samurai sword before sex attack in Letchworth
- 2 Council confirms first monkeypox case in Hertfordshire
- 3 Plans for new Stevenage secondary school raise concerns
- 4 Cash stolen in Stevenage car break-ins
- 5 Stevenage supermarket may have double-charged customers
- 6 See inside this stunning £1.15m Grade II listed barn conversion
- 7 Police cordon in place after man suffers ‘serious injuries’ in Stevenage
- 8 Eighteen-year-old arrested on suspicion of murder in Stevenage
- 9 US star George Clooney spotted directing new film in Hertfordshire
- 10 Teenager was ‘murdered on way home from prom’ in Stevenage
Racketlon combines table tennis, badminton, squash and tennis and is ideal for rackets enthusiasts.
Participants typically specialise in no more than two of the sports and most are dab hands at one only.
Originating in Scandinavia, Racketlon is a relatively new sport that has only been officially played for the last 10 years.
It is one of the world's fastest growing sports in terms of participation.
All the four sports can now be played at Letchworth Sports and Tennis Club.
Players will be guaranteed matches on both days of the event.
Entry forms can be collected from Letchworth Sports and Tennis Club.
Or alternatively call the club on 01462 675444 and an entry form will be posted to you.
* Harry Turner played in the Kingston Windows tournament at Riverside in Bedford.
Harry played in the 10 and under and came second, with his first piece of silverware and a wrist injury! All is okay now, however, and all his match information is on the LTA website.
* The club's winter league campaign has drawn to a close.
The ladies had two teams in the Herts Winter Singles League this year and both went undefeated.
The first team became county champions for the first time by winning a hotly-contested battle against Harpenden 2-1 in the deciding match.
The newly-formed second team won Division Two and will join the first team in Division One next year.
Letchworth are the only club to field two teams in this league, which shows how many juniors are chomping at the bit to play matches!
National Club League matches are now well under way for Letchworth.
The second team have completed all their matches in fact and look likely to win the County Division for the second year running, having won all but one match.
They will play in the National Division qualifiers later in the summer.
The first team have won both their matches in National Division Two and look strong candidates for a return to National Division One.
* Daniel Billington has taken over from Abbie Lench as club manager at Letchworth Sports and Tennis Club.
Previously manager of the Paula Radcliffe Community Sports Centre in Sharnbrook for nearly four years, he lives in Bedford.
Daniel said: "I am extremely excited about this new opportunity that I have been given and look forward to the challenges that lie ahead."
More details on 01462 675444.